Fitting New Regulator To Pipework

1. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Instead of using Butane torch to loosen up high strength threadlock. I decided to use a hacksaw, got the faulty regulator off the board ok. The new regulator will have to screw a noggin into the board screw the mounting ring into that so the regulator port on right lines up with the pipe. The barrel connector, nipple I think thats the right word. If I screw the barrel into the regulator, the other end will unscrew from the T there isn't room between regulator and board to rotate regulator. Can one get a barrel connector, that as I screw into the regulator, the thread on the other end will screw into the T. I have a few odd fittings. don't know if any of them any use?
    Thamesair Ltd Swindon, carry a full range of fittings but close on Friday 21st December and reopen on Wednesday 2nd January. Screwfix and Toolstation, only carry a couple of fitting types. Is there anywhere else in Wiltshire I could get a suitable connector? Machine Mart carry a few more than Screwfix but not so easy to see everything they carry.Perhaps a couple of male quick connects, joined with airline with a tail each end? Um on second thought don't think that would quite work.I don't know though, https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/1-4-x-1-4-hose-adaptor/ one end could screw into the T with hose clamped onto the barb, then fitted into a male quick connect into the outlet port of the regulator?

Cheers

• MIGA.JPG
    • MIGB.JPG
    • MIGC.JPG
  2. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Can’t you just undo the clips so you’ve got room to spin the reg? Looks like it’s only a couple of Munson rings? Alternatively you could use a union.

3. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    xl plc male and female ?

• reg.png
  4. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Ah I'm with you, I think :)

5. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

No I don't think so, all the fittings are sealed with high strength threadlock..... newbie :)

6. carbon

carbon Member

You can get 'Equal unions flat seat' that will allow the regulator to be fitted without rotating it.

EqualUnionsFlatSeat.jpg

7. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

I have a couple of 1/4" large hose barbs, as a stop gap, one barb could screw into the regulator and the other into the T with a short length of hose crimped between the two. I have an off cut of hose 8/10mm ID it looks like.

• MIG1.JPG
    • MIG2.JPG
  8. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

So one end would screw into the regulator, the other end screw into the T?

9. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    You’d need the union and two 1/4” nipples. Or a male x female union and one nipple

10. carbon

carbon Member

They are available in different configurations, either female/female or male/female. You may struggle to find them as small as 1/4" bsp it seems that 3/8" bsp may be the smallest but Ive only used 1/2" bsp ones myself

11. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Could you give me a Ebay item number for these so I know what they look like and they would be the correct fittings?
    Cheers.

12. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    https://www.bes.co.uk/barrel-nipple-mild-steel-galvanised-1-4-6465
    https://www.bes.co.uk/equal-union-male-x-female-iron-galvanised-1-4-8676
    eBay prices for these are stupid. You need one union and one nipple.

If you could unscrew the clips and take it all off the board you could use the 1/4” extended nipple you’ve got there on the right in last pic.

Or it looks like you’ve got a short hex nipple there too.

I’d be tempted to unscrew as much as possible from the board and see how much room you can make to spin the new reg on.

Advertisements