first time welder please be gentle

1. markythesparky Member

first time i have tried welding i have some car body work to do picture of first attempts
    welder clarke 135te turbo
    switches set at min and 2
    gas argon mix
    wire 0.8
    wire speed betwwen 5 and 6
    gas set at 25psi
    tried on some thinner old body panel with a lower setting and had some burn through would i be better with 0.6 wire for body work or do i need to turn the gas up IMG_1862.jpg

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Those look pretty good, what's the reverse look like? You could try tacks well spaced apart to minimise burn-though and heat distortion - even waiting a few seconds to let them cool a bit. Then gradually go back over again, 'rinse & repeating'.....

Mark 2, johnik and tom2207 like this.
  3. Wallace

Wallace Member

You may be using too much gas, can you post a photo of your regulator setup?

Mark 2 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. tom2207 Member

Fine start , I personally would stick with 0.8 wire , play with your settings and stitching technique , play with a copper backer too ,
    practice and patience , it will win the day the secret is to enjoy what your doing and enjoy the results and that way it wont become a chore.

Lordspectre and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. markythesparky Member

gas settings IMG_1867.jpg

6. Wallace

Wallace Member

The second gauge is absolutely useless for setting flow rate, how did you arrive at that setting, can you hear the gas gushing out?

You can set the flow rate by sound, you should just be able to hear it at the nozzle. If you wind the wire feed tensioner off to stop the feed and back the regulator off too, then pull the trigger and increase the regulator so you can just hear the hiss. Reset the wire feed tension and run a weld, check the quality. If there is any porosity, increase the regulator a little more. A flow meter will pay for itself in gas saved. :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. markythesparky Member

do you mean like this one i got with welder but regulatoris 10 y IMG_1868.jpg ears out of date

Wallace likes this.
  8. Wallace

Wallace Member

No, that's pretty much the same as your other one except for the scale. An add on or peashooter like these:

Screenshot_20201014-194841_Chrome.jpg

9. markythesparky Member

just swapped the gauge over and 20psi is 20cuft/hour or as near as damn it.

10. Wallace

Wallace Member

They are not particularly accurate, can you hear the gas flow?

Another way is to turn the gas down until the weld quality deteriorates then up it a bit.

Robert Mullins likes this.
  11. markythesparky Member

yes you can hear gas flow

12. markythesparky Member

having another play was wondering how much penitration am i looking for picture of back side IMG_1884.jpg

13. Lordspectre

Lordspectre If it aint broke, tinker with it anyway

Like Tom said above a copper backer is a great idea for that thinner material to prevent burn through. I personally prefer 0.8mm+ wire to use and it just feels right. If you stick with the 0.8 I'd maybe try doing stitch welds and going back over the missed parts with another stitch if needed as the previous cools

14. markythesparky Member

hate to keep asking silly questions i have been trying plug welding not sure what the back is supposed to look like picture of back and front right hand is front 1mm sheet IMG_1893.JPG

Advertisements