First project completed

1. tigan New Member

Had a few weeks practise now, learn that doing a "job" is a lot different to laying beads on the flat.
    Some welds were excellent, some were pants!

Bought a welder initially to learn, but needed to make a side gate. Needed a cart also as i found myself limited where the workbench could go, and was almost tripping over cables etc.

So the cart had to be made first.

Also learnt that PPE was VERY essential forgetting to put my goggles down for one cut on the chop saw, ended with a small fragment about an inch from my eye! - scared the **** out of me and wont forget twice!.

Learnt also that welded metal stays hot for a VERY long time!

Well heres the car, needs some end caps (on order), and painting eventually.

Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect from designing to welding - although the design, cutting and fitting took a lot more time than the welding =D

Thanks for all the help on the forum. cart.jpeg

Bbe555, Nick DV, James1979 and 17 others like this.
  2. duncans

duncans Member

look nice that mate see you have the fire extinguisher to hand that's a good idea that is

tigan likes this.
  3. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

Nice job

tigan likes this.
  4. tom2207 Member

well done ,, your right about the rest of a job taking the time ,, often i work all day to make a panel that takes fifteen mins to weld ,, but its always great to see something go from a sketch to a real life object .
    Look forwards to seeing your gate.

tigan likes this.
  5. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Congratulations

tigan likes this.
  6. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Excellent, Always a good first job,Well done. You need a couple of bent hooks, On the side of Back and front of the top tray for looping your cables round, ( leaving the bottom tray free for a tig machine):whistle:
    P.S, Trim off or shove a piece of rubber tubing over th protruding rear axles, Just the right height to give your ankles a nasty knock.:whistle:

7. Melvyn Best Member

[QUOTE="P.S, Trim off or shove a piece of rubber tubing over th protruding rear axles, Just the right height to give your ankles a nasty knock.:whistle:[/QUOTE]

Still got the scar from my younger brothers pram

johnik and gordon stephenson like this.
  8. tigan New Member

Dont start tempting me with a Tig, its took me 3 years to buy a Mig!!! =D

Ill trim the axels off eventually, and the hooks etc, still working on where i need them, also going to put a torch holder on somewhere too.

9. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Well done!

Did you remember to duck as you went out the door?

The sense of pride of a first job done well and we are all over 2 metres tall!

tigan and Parm like this.
  10. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Magnet wont stay that clean for long,might look pretty,but every speck of metal dust for miles will find them,put them in plastic bags ;)
    Well done on the cart:thumbup:

BarrieJ and tigan like this.
  11. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Great job. Looks really professional.

BarrieJ and tigan like this.
  12. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Also.:whistle: Find a nice couple of tools to keep in the ready made receptacles (Open ended) uprights. Wire snipping pliers and an open ended regulator nut spanner maybe?

13. Ali

Ali Member

Very nice, like the fire extinguisher and hope you never need it. I use an old fire blanket to throw over my welding gear when it’s not in use, and lie underneath when welding overhead cos I’m so bad at it.

14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@tigan And remember not to leave the garage/shed for half-an-hour after you've finished welding, just in case there are hidden hot bits lurking.

tigan likes this.
  15. bourbon Member

looking good that. Now spend ages deciding on what colour it's going to be

tigan likes this.
  16. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

Great job - give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back.

Been there, done that! :laughing: I can't count the number of times I've finished welding, leaned back for a breather and put my hand right on the hottest spot. :o

tigan and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. It's a great feeling when you've got your first welding project to a point where you ca use it.
    I got my welding bench to that stage a couple of years ago, fitted a vice, been in use regularly since.
    I might eventually get around to the shelves, lockable cabinet, paint..........

tigan likes this.
  18. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

No point rushing these things.

19. chip Member

uk leicester
  20. niels

niels Member

Nice! I'm new to welding too and a welding cart will also be my first project. I like that you've thought to add a dedicated space for a fire extinguisher.

- Niels

tigan likes this.
Advertisements