Fire resistant foam ear plugs

1. Mart63

Mart63 Member

I've been thinking I ought to wear ear plugs while welding to prevent sparks and slag etc from entering my ears. A quick Google search reveals that the consensus is that fire resistant foam is required. I've looked all over Amazon and eBay and nobody selling ear plugs seems to state if their product is fire resistant. Does anyone know of something suitable please, preferably not too expensive? Thanks.

2. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

I’ve never come across fire resistant foam plug hearing protection

Or a need for it to be used

mtt.tr, Mr Roo, Morrisman and 3 others like this.
  3. awemawson Forum Supporter

Two bits of school chalk will work fine!

4. James1979 Forum Supporter

I had some custom ones from Ultimateear and they were silicone or something I think. I lost one and while I am waiting for the new ones to arrive I've been using the yellow squish and stuff jobs. I pretty much live in them due to noise at work so although they aren't as comfy as the custom ones, I've never had a problem with either melting or letting sparks down my ears. I weld and burn most days and its positional stuff if that helps.

Mr Roo, Hopefuldave and Parm like this.
  5. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

i use the yellow foam ones daily and have been for over a year now and never ever so far had any burns on them or my ears....your screen should cover the sides of your head if you are using a proper one...also unless your wailing on steel then you really do not need them as your welding should sound like frying bacon off....

6. Mart63

Mart63 Member

Thanks gents. I'll just get some 3M 1100 ear plugs from eBay then. The fact that fire resistant foam had been mentioned had me worrying about them melting inside my ear.

7. Agroshield Member

Now you have raised the issue, you can't leave it there. We need a test. Glue a few onto a bit of steel and spark/weld/grind away over the top of them and observe what happens. Could be a whole new entertainment for three days' hence.

8. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Once you’ve had a few sparks burn the wax out of your lug hole, and you’ve got over the fear it it boiling your brains. Life is good:laughing:

9. daleyd

daleyd Member

[​IMG]

The title reminds me of misheard song lyrics - this was an advert for Maxell tapes a while back, Desmond Decker and "The Israelites" :laughing:

wyn and My Old Landy like this.
  10. My Old Landy

My Old Landy Melting Metal

I will give that a go on Thursday and report back :thumbup:

11. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

If you have fear of spatter/sparks setting your ear plugs alight, then presumably you also have fear of burning the side of your head also... skin isn't fire resistant either :laughing:

This is why welders caps and hoods were invented :)

Most ear plugs are made from polyurathene, which isn't particularly flammable or combustible... it takes quite a bit of effort to set it off, if you know what I mean.

Andrew Hayes likes this.
  12. Mart63

Mart63 Member

I've been welding for 41 years and have owned many welding caps and masks. I've had the odd fizzer go in my ear but not been badly burned yet. I just read a horror story online about someone getting a burnt eardrum and my imagination went into overdrive. It seems that a lot of people use earplugs and I thought that perhaps I should be using them too. I think the real danger is from overhead welding, something I don't do that often to be honest.

13. James1979 Forum Supporter

I tend to have them in all the time for the associated noise like grinders and things rather than the fear of spatter going in one side and out the other.....

Advertisements