Finally fired up my parweld 181

1. ian price Member

Not too sure if this section is the right place to post so please move it if you want, anyway had my first go at using the machine today, I put some pics of my efforts on, got the flow-meter on first, and opened up the gas, tested for leaks with soapy water in a spray bottle, and all ok, the first pic is the first weld on 1mm mild with the wire speed at 2 and lowest setting (50amp I'm guessing) the long weld had good penetration (stuck the metal to the S/steel sheet on the bench, it came of with a screwdriver and hammer):ashamed: second go was in the vice with nothing behind and it blew through on a continuous weld,
    Last pics are a weld done by "dabbing" with the torch at a low angle to the metal, very pleased with that one so that's what i'll be doing on the truck repair, (rear sills) don't ask me what gas setting I had, aint got a clue, I just opened the main valve half a turn, same with the reg valve and the flow meter, I tried to set the gas as low as possible, and I could hear it when welding, lap joining is what i'll have to do on the truck, luckily most of the repair on the truck will be hidden by the large plastic wheel arch extensions so welds don't need to be too pretty:laughing:
    not much splatter so all in all I am very pleased with myself:D, arc was smooth and the euro torch is nice to use,

• 10, FIRST TRY WITH THE NEW MIG (1MM MILD STEEL).JPG
    • 10A, SAME.JPG
    • 12, SMALL CONTINIOUS WELD WITHOUT METAL PLATE UNDER IT.JPG
    • 14A, DABBING WELD, LOW ANGLE ON TORCH.JPG
    • 14B, PENETRATION.JPG
    • 9D, REGS AND FLOW-MWTER.JPG
  2. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    It all comes out nice on a bench:D
    Now go pratice laying on the ground in some awkward position where you can hardly see and if ya brave swop hands,its a different world;)
    Other than that,you're getting there:thumbup:

addjunkie likes this.
  3. ian price Member

Yeah mate I know, Even plumbing's easy on the bench:laughing:, the sill on the side of the truck I'm doing first luckily for me is over some steps leading down into my pit in the garage floor, so I can at least stand while I weld, when I turn the truck round for the other side it'll be a lot more awkward, plus I have arthritis :(

Shedendman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

That's a good first go.

Don't be in too big a rush to get straight onto the truck.
    Keep at it on the bench until you are happy with how it going and are bored running beads and jointing bits of nice clean stuff.
    Have you any steel the same thickness as it on your truck. It's always good to practice on the bench to get your settings right, then move on to the awkward stuff.

Good luck and keep practicing.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    So do i fella ankylosing spondylitis now theres a mouth full ,lol
    Not just your body but practice different torch angles to, hardly anything(most of the time) welding on a vehicle will be in the flat position your be doing more vertical and poss overhead welding,this where settings will just slightly change from the flat
    As we all say PRACTICE, it'll come;)

6. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Me too,
    Had to quit working as a mechanic in my late 20s because of it.

Since i got started on the auto immune drugs I can do most things.
    I'm seized solid but at least I'm pain free and there is always a work around.
    Two post lift was the best buy ever.

Best advice is don't let it beat you and keep active (hope your doing your daily physio)

Shedendman likes this.
  7. ian price Member

Do you find it worse in the morning? mine is terrible, stiff and have a job to stand, you'd think bed would do you good but it seems the other way round, my wife is worse than me, both types Arthritis, Parkinson's, IBS, to name just 3, she need a hip replacement but they wont operate due to her heart problems, i do try and keep busy, not too bad after a cup of tea and a few vapes (used to be a fag0, and i mean the British version:laughing:, walk the dog in the morning, getting old is a real pi$$er:doh: i am still trying out practice welds, the metal i have is 1mm which is prob just a bit thicker than the truck body, loving this welder tho:thumbup: why didn't i go in for one years ago!!!

Advertisements