Faulty Mac Tools MIG 140

1. chrisberesford Member

Berkshire, UK
    Hi,

I have just bought a MAC TOOLS MIG 140 welder which refuses to do anything except light the neon lamp in the power switch!

I have tried googling and searching this forum for some info about this machine, but so far have drawn a blank. I guess as it doesn't appear to be a big name brand in itself, it is actually made be somebody else and rebadged as MAC.

Photos are on Picasa: http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.itu/Welder

Many thanks for any ideas!

Chris

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Just take it back, tell em it doesnt work and that you want a replacement (or a different model). If your sure it is faulty i wouldnt waste your time trying to sort it. It is their problem!
    Welcome to the forum!:laughing:

metalmelt likes this.
  3. chrisberesford Member

Berkshire, UK
    Unfortunately it's an Ebay purchase :(

I did get a full cylinder of Coogar gas with it too, so if I have to dump the welder and get something else, not all is lost.

Anyone any ideas?

Chris

4. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Could be something as simple as a fault in the torch switch or its cable between the torch and the welder, dismantle the torch and short out the terminals on the switch, if that doesn't work, find the other end of the cable inside the welder and use a meter to check continuity of the cables in the torch harness, Mig welders do tend to suffer from these sort of problems because of the movement of the lead,

metalmelt likes this.
  5. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    did u buy it as a spares or repairs?.......

6. chrisberesford Member

Berkshire, UK
    Nope - but the seller has since emigrated to Canada - he was selling his (now containerised) car repair business equipment.

7. Paul.

Just looked at your photos, the leads from the torch appear to be disconnected inside the machine

metalmelt likes this.
  8. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    how did u pay? .paypal and credit cards offer some protection ,never heard of anyone using the facility yet......good eyes tig paul ......near the wire feeder?

9. Paul.

yep there' the ones, red and blue

metalmelt likes this.
  10. Kat M Member

Leeds
    Yup.

Reconnect these, the two thin ones are for the trigger switch in the torch.

[​IMG]

11. chrisberesford Member

Berkshire, UK
    I disconnected those whilst trying to work out what was wrong and test for continuity through the torch - sorry didn't mention that in the original post.

Unfortunately, I paid cash and collected the machine from the seller (who has since left the country!).

I can't find any info about the machine on the web anywhere - does anyone recognise it as a rebadged model of another manufacturer?

Thanks for all your help!

12. Paul.

Have you tried shorting the two wires that come out of the machine together together, to completely bypass the torch lead?

metalmelt likes this.
  13. weldequip Forum Sponsor

It'll be the PCB, may just have one in stock...I'll av a look Monday for you ;)
    weldequip

14. chrisberesford Member

Berkshire, UK
    Thanks Guys!

Tig Paul - It was a while ago since I was trying to get it working, pretty sure I shorted the wires together to test as the torch disintegrated in my hands as I took it apart! I'll have another look later on today if it's not pouring with rain outside.

Weldequip - thanks for helping out, do you need any more info about the machine?

Chris

15. Pete Hughes Member

North Wales
    Yes I would agree with Paul, pic 4 of 4 the wires do look to be disconnected.

Re-connect and stand back.

Pete

16. chrisberesford Member

Berkshire, UK
    I 've now fitted a new PCB supplied by weldequip and it still doesn't work. I've spent a couple of evenings playing with a multimeter and have established that although squeexzing the trigger causes the relay on the PCB to close allowing 240v to the primary windings, absolutely nothing is present on the secondary. Do these things burn out? I can't see a thermal/fuse type device in series with the secondary winding, so can't think what else it could be. The wire feed although controlled and fed by a separate transformer on the PCB, requires a trigger voltage from the rectifier to switch on. the gas valve is fed straight from the secondary winding, so neither of those bits work.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Am i doing something really stupid, or missing some really basic bit of physics??

Chris

17. a111r Member

A 12 year "HTR, Batman!" :D

Yes. It's a 'badge engineered' Clarke 150/151EN with the addition of a rotary voltage selector switch, instead of two toggle switches.
    Just in case someone thinks this current Ebay offering of the same, is a 'good buy'...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAC-TOOL...c52686f:g:PSoAAOSwGypfoHvj&LH_ItemCondition=4

Advertisements