Evolution Rage Mitre Saw Problems

1. anto Forum Supporter

I've had an Evolution Rage mitre/chopsaw for a number of years and it has performed faultlessly, until yesterday.
    When cutting the motor sounding like it was revving up and down. One minute going at normal speed, the next at a faster speed.

Is this likely to be brushes or is something else the matter?

Thanks,
    Anton

2. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

Check the gears on the end of the motor to saw blade. They can wear.
    If they are good. The motor is on the way out.

3. charliecambs New Member

i had similar issue. Evolution said brushes but when i removed them they were fine
    I thought i'd remove the motor end cover (this was the 255mm sliding mitre saw) and found a small plastic speed sensor on the end of the motor shaft had cracked. dab of superglue and screw back in and all good for a year so far.

it was out of warranty as was a "grade B" from their ebay shop so nothing to loose as an ex electronics engineer.
    just be careful all un-plugged and i suggest sheet of white paper under to catch any loose parts

anto and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

And the blood....:scared:

5. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I rebuilt mine when the motor exploded & let out the magic smoke :laughing:

6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Apologies for the dumb question, but is the blade definitely done up tight? Mine gives the impression of the speed "hunting" if the blade is loose (dangerous, too, I know!).
    At least if that is what's up is a cheap fix!

zx9, mrsbruce, Dr.Al and 3 others like this.
  7. anto Forum Supporter

Good shout actually. My da had the blade off a few weeks ago fixing a spring so perhaps its worked it's way loose again.

Dr.Al and skotl like this.
  8. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Also, and to show my ineptitude, I've had the saw 2 or 3 years and only discovered the button to lock the blade a month or two back :ashamed: until then I'd been using a screwdriver in the teeth to lock it while I tightened it.

hunter27, rockweasel and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. anto Forum Supporter

:o

10. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Is that :o cos I'm a plank or :o cos you've just realised the same?

(either answer is fine :D)

anto likes this.
  11. anto Forum Supporter

Cos you're a plank :laughing:

Sorry :ashamed:

skotl likes this.
  12. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Fair play :)

anto likes this.
  13. anto Forum Supporter

I once tried to lever a wiper arm off its spindle with a pry bar using the windscreen as a fulcrum...... I think we are all planks at some stage :D :laughing:

Dr.Al, skotl and Chillitt like this.
  14. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Hah. My brother put an ironing board in his company car VW golf. The end was right up against the windscreen, but the tailgate wouldn't close.
    He pushed the tailgate. Windscreen bounced off the bonnet and shattered on the pavement :D

slim_boy_fat, Dr.Al and anto like this.
  15. anto Forum Supporter

I have discovered something similar on mine.
    Little plastic end cap has broken. It seems to contain a magnet, which from an exploded parts diagram is a "constant speed magnet". Would you happen to have a pic of yours for reference?
    I have it screwed back in so it should be doing its job.

However the saw is still rotating at a far higher speed than it normally would. I can also see blue sparks from inside the motor housing.

Brushes have plenty of life left.

Is the saw motor kaput?

16. rockweasel Member

The locking button fell out of mine so I now stick a screwdriver down the hole.

skotl likes this.
  17. charliecambs New Member

Hi sorry I don't have pictures. As i recall there was a screw in the end of the motor holding a plastic ring which was in place but cracked and split. I removed screw used some mitre bond to close the split put screw back and it was fine.
    Did you remove/ replace the brushes in the original positions? They will be worn on to the commutator and may be bedding in.
    I wouldn't think it would run faster as i think the controller would be the soft start /stop and maybe apply more volts to maintain speed under load.
    If I have a few minutes tomorrow I'll try and remove cover and photograph it.
    Not sure where the actual sensor is though?

anto likes this.
  18. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I had one once it stared hunting when under load but it was actually the blade slipping. The arbour and nut had worn.

zx9 and skotl like this.
  19. charliecambs New Member

Due to the current "quiet" spell i finally took a look at the laser on my Rage. it had gone from a sharp line to a red blurr.
    Found the laser near the hinge and popped off the clear plastic cap. It was cloudy. Few minutes with 400 wet and dry + water and same again with T cut and its back to a sharp line.
    Think its right in line for sawdust and hot metal shards! might try a clear plastic shield but TBH didnt use it much.
    Another little job ticked off.

slim_boy_fat and skotl like this.
  20. tom 748

tom 748 Member

check the brushes,take out and clean

Advertisements