ESS Smitweld Thyrotig 220 AC is it worth anything?

1. Guzrik Member

I was offered a ESS Smitweld Thyrotig 220 AC TIG welder complete with cooler and in working order without a bottle or pressure regulator for free!
    Unfortunately it is a 500km drive for me, so 75€ diesel and a day lost on the road.
    I was almost ready to buy a Sherman 206P acdc, but now I am doubting if I should first get me this one?
    Can anyone comment on one of these? I asked for more info but don't know yet what the age is.
    My first job for it would be very small aluminium welding and I wonder which one would be best for such work?

barking mat likes this.
  2. Guzrik Member

upload_2020-8-2_22-16-23.png The simplicity and ruggedness appeals to me.(a bit like my personality) Middle top switch would be HF and I see a connector for a pedal?
    Think I am going t collect it tommorow :-)

3. tom2207 Member

if you have the power to run it ,, id go for it , should it only sit in the corner as a spare machine 75 for fuel and a day out is a total bargain.

slim_boy_fat and Guzrik like this.
  4. Guzrik Member

Thanks, not sure how much it needs, I have 3 phase 380 Volts 16A?

5. tom2207 Member

It will say on the data plate on the machine. but at 220 amps you should be ok ,,,

Guzrik likes this.
  6. Richiew Forum Supporter

The cooler is worth it on its own. Chinese tig cooler on ebay is around 280 pounds.

Guzrik and DavidL like this.
  7. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

AC/DC Tig welder, go get it. No brainer.

Guzrik likes this.
  8. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I worked for their sister company. In 1988 Smitweld became Lincoln Smitweld....I believe those sets were made by a firm in Hoorn not far from Amsterdam but I cant recall their name

Guzrik and a111r like this.
  9. Guzrik Member

Appointment is made for tommorow, thanks for all your reactions.
    More tommorow.

10. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    It has AC balance but no frequency adjustment less important) and I see no slope down adjustment (more important) But then you could just use a pedal instead.

Good machine to learn on, though, and will always have a resale value if working :)

Guzrik likes this.
  11. Guzrik Member

Picked it up today, plugged it in, and it works!
    I don't have Argon yet but the HF works, and it seems to weld a bit at least I can make an arc, all very messy of course.
    Tommorow I will try MMA, and I am looking for a good deal on a buy/rent Argon bottle.
    Wow, I was at the right time on the right place it seems. Happy days[​IMG]

12. Steveblade

Steveblade Member

Thats great news, gotta be worth £500/£600 quid in working condition. Id have fetched that from here in the UK if it was free:thumbup::clapping:

13. Guzrik Member

And a 10 liter bottle came with it but apparantly no one wants to refill/exchange it. So I will also try and take it to the shop.
    Oh and I need a pedal and scheme on how to connect it. I get the feeling this is a pre digital fotograhpy and pre internet era machine, I cannot even find pictures of this model. 1980 or so?
    Edit: Got a manual, don't know why I couldn't find that before. First print 1985.
    Edit2: It's an ESS Uniarc 5 acdc which makes finding documentation easier.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 8:42 AM
  14. Guzrik Member

Just welded mma on 150A at 180 the ligths went out.(I have 3phase 380 volts/16A)
    It welds great, smooth start and after 0,5 a second the current go's up, very stable arc.
    I opened it this mornig to check coolant(-20C) and flow, and blow out the dust, took some pics if anyone is interested.
    There was a sticker on a print with 1993 on it, to my suprise there were also chips on the print, I thougth it would only be relais and chunky switches.

15. Guzrik Member

Bougth a 13 liter 300 bar Argon bottle today with integrated ressure reducer from Air Liquide, tested it tonight and it welds fine.
    I missed the pedal immediatly so that is the next thing on my list, according to the scheme it has a 47kohm pot in it does anyone know if I would have a chance to find one from another brand maybe; are they interchangeable?
    Someone recognize the connector?
    Connector pedaal ESS Smitweld.jpg

16. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Looks like a 7pin tuchel round pin type... not 100% though.

Technical Arc in the UK make up pedals, but better than those are SCC in the USA, I'm sure they do all ranges of pot for their pedals and are widely regarded.

Or buy a cheap pedal and put your own pot in it :) AFAIK any pot will work, but the right size one will give a good working range on the pedal for that machine.

Guzrik likes this.
Advertisements