Epoxy Primer - Safety

1. catceefer Member

I shall be starting to rebuild an Austin Seven later in the year. I am a long, long way from being ready to paint anything, but I am trying to decide what would be the best primer or base paint to use to prevent it from rusting whilst being worked on.

I have fairly average home workshop equipment and no air-fed breathing equipment, which rules out using 2k paints. Is all epoxy primer 2k or are there brands available which can be used with a decent quality carbon or charcoal mask? Alterrnatively, is there another system of paint which is considered to be a decent alternative and which can be sprayed without a full respirator?

Regards,

James.

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    theyre 2k...which means 2 parts

mostly if not all non isocyanate , which is the bad stuff to look out for

choose a product and you should be able to find a data sheet to explain it

carbon likes this.
  3. mr haynes Member

I wouldn't really want to use 2k paint on something of that vintage for originality, epoxy primer is fine.
    Using celly on top would be correct and no need for air fed mask as no iso

4. anjum Member

The lechler epoxy has no isocyanates
    No experience of using it under celly though.

marlinspike likes this.
  5. catceefer Member

Thank you for the replies. I had in my mind that 2k automtically meant that the paint contained isocyanides. It is good to know that this is not the case. Cellulose over an epoxy primer does sound like a good route.

Regards,

James.

6. anjum Member

I once had a discussion with some die-hard "authentacist" who said you can't use epoxy primer on a classic car as it wouldn't be original........

7. minimutly Member

Thing is why not use 2k paint on a classic? If you lay it on thick enough you can flat and polish it and it'll look like celly, without the fade?
    Or am I wrong?

8. mr haynes Member

I tended to find it looked a bit plastiky. 2k all the way for everything else and when protection more important than authenticity.

Also the OP doesn't have an air fed mask ;)

9. mr haynes Member

:vsad::vsad::vsad: Bet they also insisted they could tell when the "wrong" primer was used. Some people should just be left in their own little garages polishing their knobs

10. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    my 2p worth

if someone can do all the repairs and bodywork to get a classic looking so straight and good then why on earth use a substandard paint just because they used it years ago , then face the massive hassle of redoing it if /when it crazes

if epoxy and 2k finishes were around back then they would have used it

i would however agree a 3 stage pearl would look silly on a classic , stick to a direct gloss paint and i dont see a problem , if you can restore a car and paint it to such a standard that all people can fault is the paint type used then good for you ...most of these diy paint jobs have bigger problems to worry about

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  11. anjum Member

I also once met the.owner of an e type who was going to have his repainted because the 2k looked too plasticky
    I thought it looked beautiful
    I suppose he could have just rubbed it down let it set and then just put celly on top but .....
    I quite like the idea of some custom paints on some classics. Always regretted not painting my white saab in pearl white

12. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah do what pleases you i guess

13. mr haynes Member

If my dodgy memory serves, if you try and do only an average job with 2k it knocks some of the plasticky shine off.

All my comments are strictly qualified by being out of the loop for a few years, and being a dozy old sod :thumbup:

anjum likes this.
Advertisements