Epoxy primer and Galv

1. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Member

Afternoon. I've cut and shut me ole' 10ft trailer and she's now 8ft long. It over 20 years old, and the galv is showing signs of letting go. lots of zinc oxide (or whatever it is) on the surface. I've removed patches of galv fully for welding, and put some etch primer on to stop it rusting in the meantime.

I need to look primarily at something that will 1, purely for rusting hold onto the galv and 2, if lock down keeps going i could end up painting even more. Is etch primer suitable for over galv after is cleaned up a bit/keyed in?

Any advice on painting galv appreciated.

some pics.

IMG_5392.jpg IMG_5409.jpg IMG_5417.jpg

2. lexi Member

paisley
    Etch primer is fine on Galv. The older and more weathered galv is, the less it tends to reject paint.
    If you want to tone it down after the alterations, you can paint it with Zinga or Galvafroid. It makes it look more like a galvy trailer again. I am doing similar here with an Indespension Rollercoaster boat trailer. Being a cheap skate, I am red oxiding the new parts bolted or welded on and then a grey gloss. It is what I got here .

Oh..........that stone work is lovely on the house!

Al Strachan likes this.
  3. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Member

Thanks. Wasn’t aware of this stuff. It’s not cheap but looks spot on for what I need :)

cheers for the compliment!

4. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Member

Hi, does anyone know if i can spray this with a standard undercoat gun (2.0mm nozzle) ?

Advertisements