Ebay spool gun

1. John wan New Member

Hi

I've recently bought a eBay spool gun as I want to have a go at sticking ally has anyone here managed to set it up on a sipmigmate 130 ? My end goal us sticking a bellhousing to a gearbox I know I know tig would be better but I don't have one so going to try this and arc any help would be appreciated

2. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    gt6s and John wan like this.
  3. John wan New Member

Thanks Mike I've cut the two already the box I have won't work with the engine I have the bellhousing is to small so need to weld on the one I have for the car similar box to the one I want to use is over 1g an this will be £60 hence me wanting to use just need to get sticking

4. Dutch Welder Member

Won´t work kate, you are way underpowered for that to work.

5. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
  6. John wan New Member

Thank you Dutch please don't call me Kate

Mike I wish it would have been that easy the box I'm using doesn't have a separate bell housing it's all part of the box so adapter plates won't work only way is choking an sticking I'm afraid if my stuff won't do it I might have to get someone to for me

7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Sorry mate but you’re idea isn’t going to work in million years with the welder you have. I’ve repaired two gearboxes now that have been stuck together with MIG. It’s not a good idea at all.

Find someone to tig weld it

John wan and gt6s like this.
  8. John wan New Member

Thanks brad I'm thinking of getting a tig to have a go can't be that hard I've even got some arc rods also to see what that will do have you tried doing them with arc?

9. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    :clapping:

Ruffian likes this.
  10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Well I could give someone tuition for a full day or two and they still would not be proficient enough to weld up a gearbox.

Do you think people just decide to weld and are good at it? It takes practice, hours and hours and hours of it.

You know you will need an AC tig too right?

No, you cannot arc weld aluminium and get result good enough for your gearbox. A bit of handrail or sheet that has broken onsite and needs a few small runs to get back to business is fine with MMA AlSi5, but not a bloody gearbox.

But it’s your choice, best of luck.

John wan likes this.
  11. gt6s Member

A gearbox is WAAAAAAAY too much of a heat sink for your welder. I made up bell housings many years ago 160 amp JUDT DID IT !!!!!

Laurence

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The last one I did was 5-6mm thick and the mating flanges were about 8mm thick.
    I was pouring 200 pulsed amps into the thing!

John wan likes this.
  13. John wan New Member

Brad I know you don't just pick up a welder an that's it your instantly awesome trust me you could hang your hat on my welds but you don't get anywhere without trying a bit of advice what's the best stuff to use would be great

14. anto44

anto44 Member

Gearbox bellhousings are a nightmare to weld together. First problem is getting the 2 donor housins cut so the faces are perfectly parallel so when you join them together the gearbox input shaft remains perfectly square to the face of the bellhousing, the tolerance for this is very tight. Even slightly off and clutch release and clutch dragging issues are almost gauranteed.
    Next thing is making sure the input shaft and crankshaft are perfectly aligned.
    When you cut to different bell housings and put them together you're not going to have a perfect butt joint. You'll have a butt joint thats staggered most of the way around so the effective thickness of the joint will be varying as you go along which means you're going to have to be able to vary the heat input constantly to allow for this which will be very hard to do on a basic mig set up. Ideally you want a tig with a pedal. Its a big piece of cast ali so it'll sap heat at an unbelievable rate. I'd be pretty much pedal to the floor on my 200amp tig.
    Not trying to put you off doing it, It's possible to get very good results doing this but it's really not a project to be taken on untill you've had a lot of practice first.

WorkshopChris likes this.
  15. MattH

MattH Member

Why not find a local engineering firm that could do this for you? Maybe it’s a couple of hundred quid.
    That’s got to be better than the couple of thousand quid you are talking about to gear up for this one job that you may or may not have the skill for.

With the machinery I’ve got I could cut and face the two parts to match up. My 210A water cooled tig set could also do the job but I couldn’t (welding dirty old cast Ali is a job for pros when the application is critical). My neighbor who is a fabricator could easily tig them together for not much money.
    What I’m trying to say is that people who are already setup for these types of jobs can do them quickly and for minimal expense.

Advertisements