Drummond 5" lathe

1. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Apologies Roger, I moved the 3 posts from that other thread and my connection timed out. It ended up with two duplicate threads and I deleted one without looking at them and this one contained no text so everything was lost.
    I managed to back-page to the other thread and copy and paste everything back into one post so the timeline is correct.

1. Roger Webber
      I am looking at acquiring a Drummond 5" lathe, in Sydney Australia. I would love some guidance on things to look for. I am working on uploading some pics, but no success so far. The pics are on flickr at https://www.flickr.com/gp/189360576@N07/31110o.

I will see the lathe in a couple of days and fortunately it is currently on a trailer and only 20 min drive away.

It seems it has no change gears (at least from the pics I have), but has been in storage for 40 years or so and supposedly has very little wear, but time will tell.

What should I be looking for?

2. fizzy, 24 minutes ago

fizzy
      I am looking at acquiring a Drummond 5" lathe, in Sydney Australia. I would love some guidance on things to look for. I am working on uploading some pics, but no success so far. The pics are on flickr at https://www.flickr.com/gp/189360576@N07/31110o.

I will see the lathe in a couple of days and fortunately it is currently on a trailer and only 20 min drive away.

It seems it has no change gears (at least from the pics I have), but has been in storage for 40 years or so and supposedly has very little wear, but time will tell.

What should I be looking for?
      Hopefully just light surface rust and will clean up fine - look for any deep pitting.
      Make sure the spindle runs fine.
      Put a 2 foot bar in the chuck and push and pull on it - will show up bearing wear and play.
      Push and pull on the cross slide and apron - there will prob be a little bit of movement but make sure not excessive.

Roger Webber

Thanks, good advice to take a bar with me. The rust is superficial I think. I will take some wd40 and steel wool to have a close look at the ways as well

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

check the bed for wear by giving the saddle a bit of a pull sideways near the chuck then at the other end of the bed .if it goes tight at one end and slack at the other the beds worn there shouldn't be any movement if its not worn

MattF likes this.
Advertisements