Dot after welding

1. Jimbob17 New Member

Hi I’m new to welding and I’m wondering if it’s normal to have a small dot when I close my eyes it’s gone after about a minute with no soreness etc to eyes. I have a auto darkening helmet and it’s definitely working. I’ve got it set to shade 10. I think if I set it much darker I won’t be able to see the metal I’m welding

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

It's normal. I just looked at a normal light bulb for 5 seconds and then closed my eyes, I could see that dot for 45 seconds then I got fed up counting.

will neech likes this.
  3. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Do you see a flash just as the arc is struck, before the visor goes dark? It should normally be minimal, in a decent helmet.

4. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Dont look at the arc,look at the pool,sounds daft i know

Yamhon likes this.
  5. Jimbob17 New Member

Don’t really see a flash it darkens pretty much instantly. I probably am looking at the arc too much and not the puddle around it.
    I just finished using some flux cord wire so am going to use some argon/co2 with normal wire and compare the two :) I’m looking forward to seeing the difference

6. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

If you are seeing an after image then your shield is set too low for the welding process and current being used, as said above learn to look at the pool rather than the arc. A bit like driving in a nail, you dont look at the hammer you look at the head of the nail, after a while it becomes instinctive.
    Fluxed processes are easier on the eye than mig or tig so you would normally go a shade or so darker when using a raw arc process.

Yamhon and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements