Don't forget to tighten your euro connector!

1. malcolm

malcolm Diet - 2.5kg so far.

Oops. Welder was misbehaving all day and I couldn't figure out why until 200 amps went up the trigger connector and took out the circuit board. Torch connector wouldn't do up any tighter, but I'm guessing it wasn't tight enough.

connector.jpg

I made beautiful things - stands to hold a car up on the body jig holes. Had almost finished them.....

stands.jpg

jerrytug, optima21, anjum and 4 others like this.
  2. james butler

james butler Member

:ogood reminder to check mine!

duncans, malcolm and gaz1 like this.
  3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Had to replace a few at work....

BurntEuroCon.jpg

malcolm likes this.
  4. malcolm

My torch looks like that too. I'm guessing not tight enough is the normal cause for this sort of thing?

5. malcolm

Oh, and do I have half a chance just replacing the connector? Pressing the button on the torch doesn't do anything but I haven't looked at the board yet to see if it has gone black.

6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

That particular one was off a robot welder as the hose package (harness) get's thrown around a lot more than a manual welder so loosens the connector.

The euroconnector should be replaceable, one of our welding suppliers should be able to advise the correct one to fit.

You can test the welder by putting a link wire across the 2 insulated sockets in the euroconnector, (slacked the wire feed off first) the wire feed and weld relay/contactor should operate.

malcolm likes this.
  7. malcolm

That's a good point. Those connectors don't look too damaged and I tried another torch and that didn't work either. Not a worry - it's a Portamig, pretty simple and proudly British made and all that. I can post the PCB off to Tec Arc to fix if it has gone black.

Shedendman and james butler like this.
  8. stuvy

stuvy Member

you could have made them the same size:whistle:

if you need to use a mig I can lend you mine if it’s urgent

malcolm likes this.
  9. malcolm

Thanks, It was a paid job but the guy I was doing it for has access to other fabricators and there is only 5 minutes work left on them so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Nobody specified a tollerance :-) They are within a few inches. :clapping:

stuvy likes this.
  10. malcolm

Completely forgot - I've got a TIG welder! Never tried anything over 2mm with it before but might be worth a practice on some scrap in the morning to see what happens. I promised Monday lunchtime. Just need to remember whatever Paul said about fillets.

indy4x and stuvy like this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Cheap torch/poor quality euro connector

12. malcolm

Fixed it - Weldequip was a sweetie and sent down a new connector and torch and the welder works again! No spatter any more, nice clean welds. I was having a load of spatter problems before that I couldn't figure out.

Really useful as I got another day work out of it :-) Also might get a bit more now the work looks tidy.

• steering-rig.jpg
    Robotstar5, stuvy and Yamhon like this.
Advertisements