Does a flow meter need to be vertical?

1. mccp Member

I dragged out my ancient Clarke 90 mig welder the other day to cobble together a dust extractor chute for my planer. After switching to the really ancient mask because the crappy auto mask seems to have packed up again (ripped it apart to replace batteries once already), the wire feed was so intermittent I gave up and logged on here to find recommendations for a new welder in the £500 range.

Having lusted after an AC/DC tig for years, it will surprise no-one that I have now placed an order for a Sherman Digitig 206.

I'm just sorting out the gas side of things now, most likely SGS rent free so I'm assuming that I need a side entry regulator. I'd like to add a flow meter as well, but most of the regulators have their outlet angled down. Is a flow meter going to work if it isn't vertical? Or do I just need a pea shooter gauge?

2. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

I use a flow meter on the reg and as far as I know it's only the weight of the indicator that makes it work against the gas flow so I think it will have to be fitted vertical.

metalmelt, zx9 and Hopefuldave like this.
  3. hotponyshoes Member

The type with the ball in need to be vertical.
    If you can't find a regulator to suit you can put a elbow fitting on the outlet.

If you weld at a bench you can mount the flow meter on the wall (or even on the welder) and run hose to/from it.

4. Aff

Aff Member

Needs to be vertical.

But if you use a reg where the output is 90 degrees to the input then they will work with both vertical and horizontal exit cylinders.

5. wacky7791

wacky7791 Member

flowmeter does, regulator doesn't, twist the regulator so it is 'flat' and the bottom exit becomes a side exit for a flow meter?

upload_2020-9-26_11-33-3.png

Morrisman, mccp, zx9 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Member

As said above, needs to be vertical for the ball or bobbin to float. Just in case you did not know, ball type flowmeters are read from the ball centreline and float type from the top. Good quality float type flowmeters usually have small angled cuts in the bobbin so it spins to indicate there is flow and not stuck in the tube.

a111r and metalmelt like this.
  7. minimutly Member

Originally branded Rotameter....

Wallace likes this.
  8. mccp Member

Thanks folks, all useful info.

Advertisements