DIY Soda Blast Gun

1. Onoff Member

Off down another rabbit hole.....

Wanting to blast this aluminium mower gearbox I ran out of blasting media for my cheapo Lidl Parkside sandblaster. It's OK but you have to give it a shake now and then.

Over on a mower forum one of the gurus there suggested home brew soda blasting and that I search out "pop bottle soda blaster" builds on YouTube.

I tried at first putting soda crystals through the Parkside gun but it clogged/didn't work.

[​IMG]

So...after a rummage in the garage and delve into the collected scrap and I came up with:

- a cheapo blow gun
    - a copper tap connector, 15 down to 10mm
    - an airline connector
    - the plastic bottle the blasting grit came in from Lidl

[​IMG]

I found if I unscrewed the end of the blow gun then an airline adapter screws in being the same thread.

[​IMG]

I cut the tap connector down roughly at where it narrows down and found that slotted over pretty well, the airline connector.

[​IMG]

I figured if I heated up the copper flare with the MAPP torch I could tap the airline connector into it.....and that's where it all went wrong! The copper bent like a banana!

[​IMG]

Plan B!

Another rummage came up with some heavy wall chrome steel tube.

[​IMG]

The airline connector taps home nicely into the end of the steel tube. This junction mind is NOT airtight but we have a solution to that I think!

[​IMG]

More later!

a111r and Parm like this.
Advertisements