DIY Learning to Weld

1. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Hi All
    The new welding course consisting of one person in my own shed with only a welder and some metal is progressing well however, I have a question which will definitely affect the strength of my chassis (when I proceed that far).
    I have been running in a straight line over 1.2mm mild steel and now appear to have good penetration without blowing holes (not that I have blown any holes, which I am also worried about).Today I moved onto attempting to butt weld two scrap pieces together.
    It looked good and felt good but when I tried to bend the two panels together against each other I managed to break the join along one side of the metal, it did have some of the other metal pieces attached to it but the question is...
    Should you be able to break the two pieces apart again by bending along the weld or am I trying to make an impossible weld?

Sorry to drag it out so much but any advice is appreciated.

Rob:???:

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    No, you shouldnt be able to break it that easy Rob...
    To test a butt weld, you normally do a 'root bend test'
    Have a look at this page. http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_3/jk73.html

Not sure how you are doing it, but ideally leave a small gap between each piece, 0.5mm or so (depending on your settings) to allow full penetration, seeing a narrow bead of weld from the underneath.

3. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Many thanks
    I appear to have some penetration but obviously not enough. Will continue to play with the practice pieces.
    Will let you know how I get on and one day I may even be able to post advice here myself!
    Great site by the way!
    Rob

4. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Nope, not getting any better!
    I don't appear get enough penetration but more than this... on 1.2mm mild steel I am unable to blow holes in it, even on the maximum setting.
    The welder is a migmate 100 and I'm using gas.
    Is it me or is the welder crap?
    If it's me, tell me. I'm man enough to take it.
    Rob

5. Hitch

Somerset
    TBH... its probably the welder!

If you still cant get full penetration on the butt weld, try opening the gap up between the two more.

6. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    When you say welder, does that mean me or the equipment?

Many thanks

Rob

7. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

100 amps should be enough to weld 1.2mm sheet. So it must be you. :D

Could you post a photo of your weld. My guess is you are welding too quickly and the welder doesn't have time to heat up the metal sufficiently. Are you getting a weld pool? More side to side or even circular torch motion, perhaps over a larger area could help develop a bigger weld pool and improve penetration.

8. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Yep, i'm thinking it's me!
    My last two welds of the day are below and the top one was welded from only one side and look at it from the other side.
    I'm feeling really good about myself at the moment... One day I'm gonna be a welder!!!

LR Front.JPG

LR Back.JPG

Coming down from my high I should note that the welder was at it's maximum setting so is it still something I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help

Rob

9. malcolm

The top weld looks good - keep doing what you did there. :cool:

The maximum setting sounds about right for that welder. I think it's aimed mostly at bodywork, although with a nice slow weld and a gap between the two sheets you'd probably be able to manage chassis thickness (2mm or so).

10. Hitch

Somerset
    I cant see any pictures!

11. malcolm

Something funny going on - do you see links to the pictures? I had a fiddle around in the control panel but can't find the right setting to change. I'll have another look tomorrow.

12. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    I can see them, they are still there.
    and mighty fine they look too, lol

I'll be even happier though when I've mastered this, the chassis is welded, the weather is warmer, the sun is shining, I've got the lid down and tearing around the countryside. Distant dream at the moment!

Thanks

Rob

13. Hitch

Somerset
    I can see them now.
    Thats even weirder!!

14. vwjaz Member

It sure does :cool: Well done looks brill :D

Advertisements