Dining Table

1. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

im planning the build of a dining table, similar to the pic below.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can attach the legs to the inside of the frame. Must be a sturdy fix yet removable so I can get it in and out of the room.

Currently my idea is to have the frame fixed permanently to the top with four removable legs. It will be an all wood construction

Should have said I don’t want to see the fixings from the outside

8BB265DC-5F08-49CC-BB68-890E2FE233AC.jpeg

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Resin a nut in on the inside. I rebated a small plate in over the top of it last time screwed in to give it a mechanical fix too. I'd weld the nut to the plate now I have a welder and resin it in again.

Make sure you have a hole behind to give the bolt a little clearance

3. Parm

I’m not sure I quite for follow you

4. eLuSiVeMiTe

As per your drawing above but insert the bolts from inside and embed the nuts in the table frame. Never seen then.

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ignore build look closer at picture all hidden screws

101737504_web.jpg

addjunkie and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  6. Parm

Ok, while sat here I’ve come up with another idea. An angled plate with studs welded to it. Plate is screwed to frame and legs bolt on

I’ll knock up a quick drawing

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  7. Parm

Something like this, with a flat on the leg for the nut to sit against

214872C7-0358-40E5-A906-CB01442CCBD5.jpeg

8. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

extend your brackets put a diagonal piece in trim the leg and 2 bolts to bolt the leg

Parm likes this.
  9. MoreWellie Member

you might need some imagination as I took this from underneath a dark bench, the plate is let into the two side rails and a carriage screw screws in to the wooden leg and everything clamps together, you can only just see a little bit of the leg in the picture but its actually 4 inch square
    IMG_20190103_175013636.jpg

Edit: which, now that I look at it, is just like @gaz1 solution only metal cos its a welding forum after all

N.B. why aren't the legs and frame metal?

10. Parm

I’m just at the planning stage yet. I’ve got an idea for the top. Want to set set in some old tools in resin in a frame on the top. Just struggling to come up with design for the legs.

I’ve seen the set up you’ve posted, but not confided, I always find the the screw pulls out of the leg

Whole set up needs to be sturdy as the top will be heavy

11. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I have a table just like this. Legs are drilled down the middle for the tubular or barrel type nut.

12. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Do not use "Twin Fast" screws. Get some traditional wood screws. Brass.
    Cut 1.25" blocks off wood.
    Drill two holes into side of block and pilot holes into side frames. They can be "Twin Fast".
    Then using a short but fat wood screw, screw vertical into table top. This screw has ti go into table top.

13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

also depends on the size of the table and what is going to be the weight of the table

parm hasnt explained that part

14. eLuSiVeMiTe

15. zx9

zx9 Member

I like gaz1's idea with pocket screws, neat and easy to get the screw lengths correct so as not to come through the table top.

Edit: Could fix all the cross members with pocketed screws too, would be neater than having the screw heads on the outside.

16. Yellow peril

Yellow peril Member

Perhaps you could design it to take newel post fixings.

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    The Ikea type of hidden fixing are very good and very strong. All they need are two cross drilled holes, one for the cylindrical nut with the thread on the side, one hole for a through bolt to grab the nut.

18. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

can you not put pegs in to the top of the legs slip the top on with holes in the top to recive the legs that way you can slip the top off carry the legs in one go and the top out the room ?

19. Parm

As ever this is the beginnings of an idea. Only thing confirmed is the top will be based on a sheet of ply, will have some wood, possibly oak planks and old tools in resin.

I’ve never done anything like this before so can only guess it will be “quite”heavy.

As I’m not a designer, engineer, etc etc my solution will be to make it stronger and bigger and then a little bit more

20. MoreWellie Member

that is a leg on the workbench in my garage, it has gearboxes and other heavy lumps put on it to work on and things that get hit with big hammers :laughing: and I would happily stand on it.

Just use a reasonable piece of timber for the leg and a proper hex head coach/carriage screw

Parm likes this.
Advertisements