Different Types Of Car Paint

1. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Hi guys i need to make the shift from 2k paints to a safer paint.

Iv become familiar with Synthetic Paints (less durable but safer). Are there any other paint names that i can use with a spray gun on car panels? Mainly for base coat application. Ta very much

2. carbon

carbon Member

Basecoat is either polyester or water based as far as I’m aware

Could you put a link up for the 2k basecoat you’ve been using?

steveo3002 likes this.
  3. norsa

norsa old school painter

basecoat is not iso. It is often referred to as 2k as it is a process of a 2k refinish system. The iso 2k is the clearcoat.

4. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Sorry no link as I bought it from my local store made by them. Came in a white basic tin with a printed label on it reading 2k black gloss high solid. This paint needs the activator to cure and 10 percent thinners.

What are the other best alternatives for spraying basecoat that does not have the death sentence type hardner. Thanks

5. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Or better put is there any other paint that is non-isocycante that is similar to 2k paints
    Ah ok I think I missread your post. So I can use water based car paint as a base coat and even a primer on car panels?

6. carbon

carbon Member

That is not a basecoat if its high gloss

7. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Sorry i meant topcoat. I always skip the base coat option when painting black gloss.

8. carbon

carbon Member

Do you mean the primer as there wouldn’t be much point in putting basecoat on before a solid colour

9. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I use 2k and with my setup and PPE it’s perfectly safe. Spraying any paint you need proper PPE and I use air fed for most paints. Rather than mess about with lesser paints why not just ensure you have a safe spraying set-up and continue using 2k? I have air fed and two big filtered exhaust fans to clear the area in my workshop. If doing a bit of painting it’s worth getting setup properly. I also stopped messing about with cheap guns and got a couple of decent ones, for me it’s night and day the quality as a amateur sprayer.

Guy I know just painted his car with 1k acrylic and clear. No idea how good or durable the paint is but looks very good newly painted.

10. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

So in my quest to understand the different paint types it now seems Synthetic Enamel is a safer paint than the 2k paint. Synthetic Enamel needs no activator/hardener and if its gloss needs no lacquer. Unlike cellouse paint Synthetic Enamel will go on top of 99% of original or old painted surfaces without any reaction.
    Now I understand where the confusion is at from my previous threads.

I'm using 2k black gloss that goes over a grey primer. This allows me to skip alot of work through this method I.e basecoat, top coat and clear coat. So I always refer to it as basecoat with a shine which is not the correct language to use specially with people who have experience with spray painting.

11. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Removal i think is better than PPE. Specially from what iv seen with garage owners now in there 60s continuing to work with all kind of health problems. The obstacle for me now is to understand why (specifically) Senthetic Enamel Black Gloss will be any harder to work with (specifically) than 2k Black Gloss.

It seems Enamel Gloss is very durable, can go over most paints without reaction and can be touch dry in 2 to 4 hours.

However I do not know as of yet if this can be sanded down with 1500 grit or 2000 grit and buffed (like 2k black gloss) or as they say in the painting world cut, buffed, and polished. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One thing i have found interesting is that Senthetic Enamel can stick to paint. Would that mean you can spray over unsanded top coat without relying on sand scratches and primer for adhesion?

12. bert Member

It's called direct gloss

13. norsa

norsa old school painter

Read my explaination of terms in your other post then ask questions. Always key the substrate before applying paint except when applying your clearcoat over basecoat (COB)
    Nick

carbon and vw1 like this.
Advertisements