Diesel vs electric compressor running costs

1. brightspark

brightspark Member

depends on how big your room is. are you talking about walk in and just doing wheels and motorbike frames etc and using an airfed helmet and where are you exhausting the dust to if your shoving 90cfm in you need to extract 90cfm of free air back out otherwise it will pressurise :)I just used to do wheels and frames in a shed outside with the walls and floor lined with conveyor belt just leave the door open and the crap just blew away :laughing:

2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Should be though this isnt allowing for power factor 65/sqrt3.

Probably nearer 36a a phase

3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

That sounds like you are suffering a considerable voltage drop, to smaller cca cable

brightspark likes this.
  4. andy82

andy82 Member

Scotland
    exactly just wheels and frames.. suppose anything that will fit in my oven. I had planned to build a 3m x 2m room enough to walk in and place 4 wheels on a bench and blast the lot. extraction not sure yet i have a large 1.1kw 3 phase extractor fan and was going to rig this up to some type of cyclone system or vent it outside with pre filters. air fed i was going to rig up a large hose straight from a blower i have that would be located outside the room thats sealed inside a filter box, this will be going to a mask that i have that was a battery powered air mask.

brightspark likes this.
  5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Possibly, cable the leccy company installed is about 2" in diameter and its about 400mts long. May well be too long a run :dontknow:

Bob

6. andy82

andy82 Member

Scotland
    Also having never blasted at those type of levels, i use a 3mm at the moment to clean up after acid dipping. How efficient is 8mm in removing powder coat any way to cut down on acid dipping times or perhaps remove it would be fantastic, i hate that stuff. At the moment i am around 45 mins in the tank 2 wheels at time and anything to speed up the stripping process is a bonus.

7. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Stick a multi meter on and have the power switch on shouldn't drop more than 5%. What the arrangement passed the incomer what size cable have you run from the meter to the shed?

If its more than 5% due to the power board not your own install i would be on the phone to get an uprated cable

brightspark likes this.
  8. brightspark

brightspark Member

depends on what media you are using to the cutting power I only use expendable copper slag on the larger pot and bin it after 2 uses the 3mm pot I use kiln dried sand in it steel wheels aren't a problem for both but if your doing ally wheels it will knock hell out of them if your not dipping them 1st and just tidying them up. realy u need reusable abrasive or u can get crushed glass cheap by the pallet load single use and chuck it

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

minimum supply voltage sould be no lower than 216 volt under full load

10. andy82

andy82 Member

Scotland
    working out the amp for say the 22kw hydrovane, would it be worked out by using the following 22000w / 240v divided over the 3 phases so around 30a

11. sako243

sako243 Member

@8ob 2" seems a bit undersized especially if it's armoured - the lab I did some work in up in Battersea has 400A and that was approx 6" in diameter (armoured) and a dedicated feed from the sub-station. That was an expensive bill tunneling through half of Battersea to install the cable...

I ask Dai when he comes back what it costs to run his road compressor, it's a little bigger than what you're looking at (but then again he takes on much bigger blasting jobs). Not the best photo but the compressor is on the trailer to the left and he's got something like 2" bore pipes direct from the blast pot to the wand. He said the compressor is only a baby compared to his previous one but keeps up (new one is 265cfm, old was over 360cfm).

This was him seeing how difficult the paint was going to be to get off.
    DSC_0654.JPG

8ob likes this.
  12. daleyd

daleyd Member

It would be nearer 37-39 amps I’d say, depending on your incoming voltage. There will be an efficiency factor to add to the calcs. Here’s the table from my trusty klockner moeller reference guide (for 400v so you can prob knock a couple of amps off for typical 415 supply) but there are loads of online calculators you can use.

D59E3EFC-EC9D-463F-9921-A874C180D884.jpeg

13. andy82

andy82 Member

Scotland
    Thanks very much for posting that. thats very handy will screenshot that. :thumbup:

daleyd likes this.
  14. daleyd

daleyd Member

It’s a great little reference book, had it off a K-M rep about 20 years ago and I still use it regularly. :thumbup:

Advertisements