denbigh milling machine

1. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

i bought this old 1930s horizontal milling machine but i think im missing something with it like a drawbar to remove the inserted mt3 tapper

30234copya.jpg

20170722_151611.jpg 20170722_151625.jpg
    this is the milling end mt3 socket that just pushes into the spindle

as you can see it has a thread on it
    20170822_124438.jpg
    this is on the rear of the milling machine within the belt pulleys

20170822_124404.jpg

im not too sure if it needs a bar to knock it out as well as lock it tight to the rear of the machine for face milling before the top bar to support the front of the milling bar

how do these work ?
    would it be best to follow an atlas milling machine to see how everything works or holds

would i need to take account of this bar if using in horizontal position which then would need placing at a corner

2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

There should be a draw bar from the rear of the spindle to hold the adaptor into the taper and also to provide the means of removing it. If not it'll come loose in use. The arbor looks like it is home made, it should be supported in the end bracket otherwise the arbor will bend when used.

This is typical of a milling arbor

upload_2017-8-22_15-36-28.jpeg

ronan and gaz1 like this.
  3. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

This is what it used to look like

upload_2017-8-22_15-40-21.png

4. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

i have the milling arbour as its the 1st and 4th pic which has a thread upon it

so its called a drawbar then as thats the part i dont have with the milling machine

heres some more pics of the arbour in situe

20170822_160457.jpg 20170822_160531.jpg 20170822_160645.jpg

5. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Having looked more closely at your pictures, the last one shows that the pulley is broken, but the draw bolt has an external thread on it so that it extrcts the arbout as you undo it. I'm not sure why the outer end of the arbor is threaded though.

6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

yes the last pulley has half damage to it however can be repaired

the arbor illustrated has a pole then to a bolt on the bar to hold the spacers and milling cutter, further down the arbour it then swaps too a mt3 taper from reading up on it to the threaded internal end on the arbour

i presume that a drawbar was missing to tap out the arbour hence why i asked a question in the first place but the rear of it puzzled me as well as it also has a threaded part to it

7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

The rear thread, I would imagine, has a different pitch to the thread in the arbor, probably finer. It acts as an extractor as you undo it.

8. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

9. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

If I am understanding your measurements then MT3 is pretty close, just yours is turned down on the end, see pic.
    ScreenHunter_1223 Jan. 01 15.29.jpg

gaz1 likes this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

so as advised a 3mt collet holder and also pauls 3mt bore holder would work as long as its fitted with a drawbar to hold it in place

also mentioned 3mt drills can be used as long as no lateral force was used whilst drilling them out

11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

time for me to get this up and running

dug out the floor and ready for a good concrete base 5-6" deep

20200730_105310.jpg

its 1 metre squared hole now and ive got a level stick to make it nice and level getting materials for the base tommorow and then its going into place im looking at a corner placement so it will allow access at the back of it

then i can sort out the other part and get it finnaly up and running for usage and give it a well deserved clean up

this is the area that neighbour was flooding at the time

fizzy and Gwil like this.
  12. hotponyshoes Member

I have got a denbigh, not sure if it's quite the same as yours though. The support for the arbour on mine is a lot bigger than that one in the b&w photo above. I think it extended down from the top support and bolted to the lower frame under the bed.

I dont really remember to be honest as it currently has the universal head fitted. All the parts should be there though if you want me to take a look at anything.

Edit: I'm pretty sure all the information I could find out about mine told me it was 3MT but I have got a feeling it turned out to be something else. 4mt maybe, again, dont remember.

13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

mines the older type

http://www.lathes.co.uk/denbigh/page3.html

it dosnt have the head fitting unless i fit it to the bar above the machine which is what im wanting to do

i have enough materials to take it up to an r8 head though as being buying them so it can be fitted out for it

ive read that it has had a standared 4mt straight head fitted to this model in the below pics

Denbigh Type H4 1.jpg Denbigh Type H4 2.jpg Denbigh Type H4 3.jpg

barking mat likes this.
  14. hotponyshoes Member

Mine might well be mt4 then. I vaguely remember getting some mt3 stuff for it and it would not fit.
    Mines not like that blue one either, will see if I can find a photo

15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

it was being scrapped so offered enough for it

i think its an old strong piece of milling machine and its really heavy that knee is so heavy im going to need to get a engine hoist for it or its going to be 3 people to fit it onto the base

i can only just lift that head piece and move it on my own the milling machine i walked it into the shed with no knee on it

16. hotponyshoes Member

Mine is more like this, does look like the same set up as yours just with an extra plate
    img1.gif

gaz1 and barking mat like this.
  17. hotponyshoes Member

Yes, they are heavy.
    I moved mine before realising the bottom was a coolant tank and still full. Probably 20kg in there!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

19. hotponyshoes Member

Is yours 3ph or single?

20. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

extra materials bought for head piece

3 1/4" tube

the head of a gem and im now short of the block for the head piece however id love for it to be able to be fine adjusted or brought down a little

its beyond my capabilitys i will admit that one

bridge1.jpg bridge2.jpg Gem-Power-R8-Right-Angle-Milling-Head-Attachment.jpg

Advertisements