David brown 996

1. Pat h Member

So I joined up here as I try my hand at a bit of welding. If I'm putting up a few pictures I might take a bit more pride in my stick work!
    So my current project is a 1978 996 db v q cab.

This cab isn't too common. The large rear panel was an extra that lads didn't take up on purchasing in the 70's. It has a flat floor also, some didn't, and has power steering a live clutch, which sets it apart form the 995.
    The clutch side panel and the rear panels were removed to tidy them up a bit. Replacing the side panel was a pure hassle so the opposite side isn't coming off. I'll have to do as best I can with it in place. Buried in the pile of junk is the old bonnet. The new one was done as a favor.... Has to be done again. The rust lies still beneath.

• IMG_20171009_170952.jpg
    • IMG_20171009_170926.jpg
    • IMG_20171009_170919.jpg
    • IMG_20171009_170948.jpg
    • IMG_20171009_170933.jpg
    • IMG_20171009_171017.jpg
    • IMG_20171009_170930.jpg
  2. Nice to see a tractor project here and welcome.
    My tractor is of a similar vintage, a 1977 John Deere 2130.

8ob and Parm like this.
  3. Pat h Member

I've done a few, a couple of Ferguson 20, a 880, a dexta, and other bits.
    Would love to get my hands on a 3000 series jd. 3130, 3650, etc funds won't allow for now.
    I did a devilbiss compressor two years ago, that turned out beautifully. I have some pics somewhere. It's rare because I couldn't find another for spares so had to be creative.

4. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

Looking well Pat! Same cab on the 995 here with the flat floor, also have a 995 without the flat floor and must say that cab layout is much nicer. They're b****ds for rotting around the side windows and bottoms of the doors, your door looks ok from the photo though!

5. Bill Edwards Member

Pat,

As someone with a cabbed 995 and a lot of experience of tractors I will say that you may never drive a better machine. They really are the dogs danglies.

Some of the modern offerings fall well short of these.

BrianCork likes this.
  6. Pat h Member

The flat floor has a bigger dash which makes access tighter, dad finds ours difficult as time goes on. The rubber for the bottom of the side frame had no holes in them to let the water away, that's why they LL rotted. I've new rubber from spare to go on whenever the paint gets completed. The door is good cos it was hardly ever on it, and always in the shed. Door locks to be replaced I'd say, they are well gone. Might be able to sacrifice one.

7. Bill Edwards Member

Sadly it's normal for vehicles of this era which were built in Britain to rot. A great shame given how well engineered these are in most aspects.

What do you mean, tight access? My dog fits in and goes to sleep...

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

Ok, so her head is six inches from the back tyre, she is underneath both the clutch pedal and foot throttle and I have nowhere to put my left foot. But hey, there's room... :laughing:

fizzy, indy4x, skotl and 7 others like this.
  8. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

True about the tighter access, the old man is starting to struggle alright as theyre fairly narrow to get in, pushing the range leavers backwards makes it that bit easier though.

9. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

Very true Bill, what they lack in creature comforts they more than make up for in performance in my opinion. Poorly deigned crankshaft one of the most common downfalls, however one of our 995's here has clocked well over 11,000 hours and the engine has yet to be touched, and still starts up first time every time.

fizzy likes this.
  10. Bill Edwards Member

It's generally the six pots which break cranks. They're fine so long as they aren't forced to labour at low revs.

The 995/6 has more creature comforts than a 2008 zetor at my work.

11. Turbo Member

We were always a DB farm, started with a red 770 selectamatic, quite rare, less than 2000 made. Brilliant tractor, would go anywhere on wet ground where MF 35's would get stuck. Next was a 996 with a high cab & non flat floor, again a brilliant tractor but we had to get rid as my dad struggled getting out of it.

We searched for ages to get a 2wd tractor with that was easy to get in & out of. Problem is 2wd tractors are thin on the ground & most seem to go for export to dry countries where 4wd isn't needed. We eventually found a MF 690, not the best cab floor but miles better than the 996. Unfortunately it has the same problem Masseys have always had - they are nose heavy when unladen giving poor traction to the rear wheels. So when you hit a soft spot in a field the front wheels get stuck & the rear wheels spin uselessly! Several times it has got stuck in places the 996 would've just went on.

12. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    One of the nicest little tractors I ever used was an International 574. Great access because all the levers are either side of the seat - none on the floor. Spacious cab and a quiet tractor, and fast out on the road too.

13. lotus_esprit_s1 Member

Makes me feel rather guilty about the 4wd 996 with a hedge grown up through it which will shortly be going to breakers!

14. Turbo Member

Please don't do that, they are quite a rare tractor so worth saving. I know if I was near you I'd be interested in it. Advertise it on the DB tractor forum or donedeal & you'll get a lot more than scrap value for it.
    https://dbtc.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

There's a DB collector & restorer over here who might even be interested.
    http://www.portertrailers-tractors.co.uk/
    028 8167 1371

15. Bill Edwards Member

I'll second what Turbo says. Rare things which want to be rescued and looked after, make the effort to see that it goes to the right person.
    You aren't near Scarborough by any chance...?

16. Pat h Member

Good God don't, post the pic on the website, you will have someone else dig it out for you, load it and pay you a lot more than the breaker will.... And you don't have to do any of the work!

17. Bill Edwards Member

dbtc.co.uk

This is a club (with forum) dedicated to DB's. Stick it up on there and it'll soon be hard to see the end of the queue...

Advertisements