DAB ear defenders

1. James1979 Forum Supporter

Picking the collective brain if I can please....

I spend all day with ear defenders on. I therefore can’t hear the workshop radio. Which isn’t all bad but sometimes I do want to listen to it! So. I’m thinking radio ear defenders may be handy.

I need DAB as terrestrial FM here sucks.

Mate has husky ones but not DAB. They seem well put together but if they had DAB they would do me. What I’d like to know is has anyone got real world experience of any and what are they like please? Also which brands are hygiene kits available for?

ive seen the dewalt ones:https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dewalt-dpg-14-cs-eu-ear-defenders-31-snr-with-fm-dab-radio

which seem suspiciously like these German ones- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defender-original-EARMUFF-HEADPHONES-PROTECTOR/dp/B014V5RZU2 but can’t work out if I can get a hygiene kit.

I use peltor at the moment which I’m happy with. Their version is worktunes DAB + or something but can’t seem to find any in the uk that aren’t stupid money.

just wondering what everyone else does. Don’t want earbuds. I want a self contained set of ear defenders

2. stuvy

stuvy Member

You won’t get much change from £100

I use a Roberts personal dab and iPhone ear pieces and there comfy and cheap to replace with the 3.5mm jack plug

Unless I’m grinding for hours on end I use my peltors and one ear piece

where I used to work a lad had the FM ones and was almost spanked by the forklift as even though we shouted he couldn’t hear

if you have one earphone in you can still hear a bit of background noise

WorkshopChris and James1979 like this.
  3. sako243

sako243 Member

I recently stumped up for a set of 3M WorkTunes, not DAB that I'm aware of but does have Bluetooth so could interface to your phone or something else? I got them because usually mowing somewhere without FM or DAB and just have my phone in my pocket playing some tunes.

stuvy, skotl and James1979 like this.
  4. James1979 Forum Supporter

Its not so much the price its finding what I want and if I can get hygiene kits for them then the headset overall will last a bit longer? The pelters I have are the round the neck jobs as I can get them on with welding screen, visor, hard hat or whatever. I am doubtful I'll find any radio / bluetooth ones like that but I will probably be able to graft them into the peltors I have if the muff bit is the same? Which is why I was leaning towards work tunes.

There is a reg about how loud they can go which the cheap ones done seem to stick to. The pukka ones are limited to 32db so you can hear shouts. That said, my in-ear ear defenders I have which are moulded to my ears block out virtually everything. Which is a bonus but not when you need to be shouted at!

stuvy likes this.
  5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

That was going to be my suggestion. Then you're not restricted just to the radio.

stuvy and James1979 like this.
  6. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

My nephew has sound dispersion head phones. Which work as normal headphones.
    I.e. it neutralisés background noise. As well as adding whatever your listening to.

But he's far too rich for his âge.....

stuvy and James1979 like this.
  7. James1979 Forum Supporter

Ok so I’m weird. I have no music. Just don’t ‘get’ it. Don’t even own a single cd!!! I listen to Radio 4 mainly. Apart from a bit of radio 2 here and there except when that **** vine is on!

8. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Music in ear defenders is a no-no for me. Like cyclists, runners, walkers who insist on wearing headphones, and don't hear you coming!!

Barlidge, Parm, MattF and 1 other person like this.
  9. James1979 Forum Supporter

I agree generally but the ones designed for it have a ‘safe’ limit and I’m on my own generally so it’s not so bad.

Parm and stuvy like this.
  10. duncans

duncans Member

I've just put a music system I actually got for the house but her indoors said there is no room on the shelf so I said ok as you do then I put it in my shed far better than the other I had in my shed I had to fit a DAB ariel I purchased off eBay mounted it on the shed, wow its brilliant I get loads of DAB stations the sound is perfect no distortion whats so ever

James1979 likes this.
  11. stuvy

stuvy Member

in the car I like radio 4 but 99% of the time it’s 6music

RWD3M, julianthegypsy and Hopefuldave like this.
  12. James1979 Forum Supporter

Someone said something about 6 the other day. Is that bbc6 or is that different?

13. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
  14. James1979 Forum Supporter

I wonder if the Roberts thing has Bluetooth so it’ll talk to the standard peltors which are cheaper?

15. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

bbc radio 6 is brilliant whole manner of different music from rap to almost classicical

and lauren lavern expands my vocab she mostly poetic

julianthegypsy and Hopefuldave like this.
  16. sako243

sako243 Member

Wholeheartedly I agree when other people are around. But as @James1979 I'm on my own mostly and the main reason I got those was for mowing the lawns and other commitments I seem to have landed. Either I'm being stupid or they don't have the option but I can't adjust the volume so any noise above what would be quietened by the ear muffs can be heard anyway.

Makes what turns into a day of mowing much more plesant.

James1979 likes this.
  17. James1979 Forum Supporter

18. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Youve got to Bear thé first two minutes.

Its Amazing.

19. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire

Radio 4 fan here too, can't beat a bit of woman's hour at 10am :D I like music now and again but the radio in the shop seem to play the same stuff over and over again.

I find BBC sounds app is very good for catching up on missed programs

julianthegypsy and James1979 like this.
  20. duncans

duncans Member

he's best on radio 2 ken bruce that Jeremy vine rubbish but he is one of the highest earners dunno why

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements