Cutting fuel tank

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Depends on how long your arms are. :D

2. postie jon Member

if option B is considered , i would A check the house insurance
    B check your life insurance
    and C check and see if persil does remove poop stains cos your are definatley gonna need it . :scared:

3. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    I did think about that once but the tank still needs some welding doing, the tubular filling pipe has rusted and needs replacing.
    I got the price wrong for a new tank they're actually £525 !
    Apparently the reason why they rust is because lead free fuel doesn't ' coat ' the inside of the tank which allows rust to form, this is because the cars aren't used enough and are sometimes laid up over winter, or so I hear.
    I think I'll go the way of washing it out, good rinsing, fill with water and then cut with air powered tools.
    If I hold the tool at arm's length and squint my eyes I should be OK:thumbup:

Think you will find that steel fuel tanks use to be made of Terne steel. This was a lead coated steel and the lead would protect the steel from the rusting. BUT this steel is no longer available :(. I read up on this as the fuel tank for my Capri is like a cullender and having got about 90% into making a new one (see pics) from mild steel I realized it would rust unless coated :doh:. Not sure if HOT zinc dipping might distort it (and would make it difficult to finish weld) so have put that version on a back burner :o well to one side any way :whistle: and now looking to make up in ally. :(
    As the Marcos is a kit car then was the fuel tank from a donor car or custom for the Marcos ?
    If you post a pic it could be that there is a compatible one from another car that may fit.
    Link to some info
    https://www.metallurgical-research.org/articles/metal/abs/2005/08/P613/P613.html

• WP_20151201_003.jpg
    • WP_20161003_001.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. hal 1 Member

lancs england
    The tank is unique to the Marcos,
    the different steel may have more to do with the rust than laying up the car over winter then !
    Thinking about it many classic cars are laid up over winter, do they suffer the same ? IMG_20171122_101658.jpg

The bit sticking up on the corner is not part of the tank
    The triangular bit at the bottom of the tank is where most of the rust is, have thought about using vinegar, just pour some in and leave it for a while, also seen you tube video where hydrochloric acid is used, very impressed.

Still need to weld a new filler pipe on so cleaning is still on the cards
    Or £525 for alloy one !
    Whatever happens I won't be taking any risks :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

Good man!! :thumbup:

6. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    With a basic shape like that I would look to making your own up in ally

7. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

My thoughts exactly or stainless

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Couldn't you buy a custom made ali tank from somewhere...thinking maybe there are universal suppliers like you get with ali radiators for racing and track cars perhaps. No idea whether anyone does it but you might get lucky and find a tank that works and is also cheaper than actually doing one yourself.

9. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Think there sometimes referred to a fuel cell.

10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea I think they supply them with various options...baffles, foam etc.

Just wondering whether it would be easier to just hunt around and see if you get lucky and find a close enough fit that you only have to make an adapting bracket to fit. Tank capacities for most cares don't vary a whole lot so you might just get lucky. If you post the dimensions I'd be happy to hunt around a bit in my "spare" time.

On my figaro the replacement radiators seem to be around £200....and that for re-cored. I will either re-core mine or I may hunt around for a better ali version. Only complication is there is also a transmission oil cooler in the bottom of the standard rad so I may also need a separate cooler....but I'd much rather spend the £200 on a descent ali setup that will outlive the car than line someones pocket!

11. hal 1 Member

lancs england
    I might end up having one made out of either alloy or even stainless, my only experience of welding alloy was at night school 30 years ago, never done stainless, there is a fabrication place quite close to where I live so might give them a call, I'm thinking of the easiest way
    I'll still be going ahead with the cleaning and fixing the one I've got though, if it doesn't work out then I'll consider the options, nothing to lose eh ?

Cobbler and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. RichardM Member

If you want to get rid of rust fill it with Citric Acid solution and leave it for a few days, flush it out with mild caustic acid or Bicarb of Soda solution (neutralizes the acid). Give it a wipe over with an oily rag or it will rust again quickly.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I second the citric acid...I use it a lot for all sorts of stuff. Works quicker with warm water and leaves a nicely pickled surface. Best of all the end product is harmless unlike a lot of chemical treatments which require special disposal after use.

14. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    How about welding it up, and then have it galvanised? Or hot zinc dip as it is and then braze it up afterwards?

15. My old mk1 astra was peppered with tiny holes around the 6mm fuel oulet pipe. My dad filled the tank wih water and flushed it out a few times. Then for good measure emptied it out, stood on top and dropped in a lit match. It sort of went wooof as the remaining vapours went up and it was good to go. :)

16. Eric the chicken

Eric the chicken Member

Dear all, sort of relevant re petrol tanks and also a cautionary tale.
    When I was about 15 (this would have been in the early sixties) I acquired a Royal Enfield 350 bullet. As I was a teenager I knew everything (Funny how I know an awful lot less now).
    Any way to cut to the chase, decided to strip the paint off the tank, paint stripper, too expensive I'll use dad's blow lamp. I waited til my parents were out one evening fired up the blow lamp in the cellar of the house and away I went. I'd left the filler cap on but taken the fuel taps out. after a few seconds of burning off paint I directed the flame in the direction of the hole where the fuel taps had been removed. I can see it in my minds eye even now there was a small lick of flame and an enormous WHOOMP. The tank bulged at all the seams but amazingly I was completely unscathed but a lot wiser. A minute or so later the lady who lived next door knocked and asked if I'd heard a bang? 'Er what sort of bang I said only I've been working in the cellar,:whistle:

I hope this entertains

17. slim_boy_fat

Welcome aboard, Eric. :waving:

I suspect we've all done something similar in our youth, I know I did.....? :ashamed:. Who can forget that prickly feeling at their back of the neck when we spot the potential and how lucky we've been.....:D

galooph, addjunkie and FoxZulu like this.
Advertisements