CUT50P's from Ebay ?

1. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    This may seem like a silly question - but are all CUT 50 Pilot Arc machines the same?
    In other words - is it a type of machine - or actually a model from a specific manufacturer?:dontknow:

I'm seeing them on Ebay for £180 - £190 at the moment, which as Christmas is coming, is just about within my reach.

I know several of you have bought these from Ebay - there appear to be two suppliers at my price point - SUSEMSELOCK or MOSFET16 - do you have any positive or negative experience of suppliers please? (Happy to have it via PM if you'd prefer not to share that publicly). If I'm going to splash the cash, I'd rather have someone that responds if problems should arise ;)

Thanks.

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

i have a cut 50 and its useful so does many on the forums also many have repaired theres a swell

optima has the pilot and another uses theres on a cnc machine build

3. optima21 Forum Supporter

I bought a pilot arc one, but dont think I've used it for a year now, in terms of quality this is the inside of my cut50 and as you can see they are built down to a price. if you're looking for cutting the maximum thickness from a 13a or 16A supply dont forget that the pilot arc uses about 8 amps of the output current to work so a plasma cutter without pilot arc should be able to cut slightly thicker metal.

ohh and a picture of the inside of mine

[​IMG]

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

I think one of the big sellers is a warehouse in Lancashire, possibly Blackburn.

They are simply sellers of all sorts of cheap Chinese machinery but by despatching from the UK it at least makes it a bit simpler for returns.

When I was considering a cut 50 I checked their feedback and although they did get a few returns across their range of tools (not may cut 50s were mentioned) they did at least appear to have a level of customer support.

5. AdrianH Forum Supporter

Really? My assumption has always been that the pilot arc resistors on these machines are switched in and out by the same function that does the HF start. So believed they are only in circuit on initial fire, now this is guess work so i really would like to know if they are switched or not?

On my, non pilot arc Cut40, the addition of external resistance from the nozzle to ground gives me pilot arc start and these resistors stay in circuit all the time but when the nozzle is close to the metal I am cutting within 1 mm then very little current flows through them as in less than 0.25 to 0.5 amp which when my resistors are now 15 ohm should mean around 6 amps. So for me is set for say 30 Amps it is going into cutting.

Would really love to know for sure.

Adrian

6. optima21 Forum Supporter

thats what I was lead to believe when I bought it, although I cant remember where I saw it, but what you're saying makes sense, so I'd say you're right, guess thats one thing I'll see if I can test when the weather warms up, (after checking I wont fry myself or a multimeter)

7. AdrianH Forum Supporter

I have one of the basic moving iron meters in line with the pilot arc wire, I would not use a multimeter as the HF would probably damage it.
    Here was one of the videos I did to show my pilot arc in action.

actually thinking about it it is a moving coil with internal shunt resistor.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Memmeddu, decca, slim_boy_fat and 4 others like this.
  8. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    Thanks - that's a great experiment.

Well - I've done it - pressed the button on a Chinese Cut50 with Pilot Arc.
    UK based - so hopefully here by Christmas :clapping:

9. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

test it straight away on a few stuff when you can the sooner the better more so with ebays and paypals guarantee

slim_boy_fat and Beanwood like this.
  10. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Rig Pig likes this.
  11. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    Well - ordered it, and it arrived two days later - excellent delivery time!!.

It was 'interesting' to wire with a black and white wire to the supply - but figured it out,
    thanks to the instructions on one of @skotl posts.
    The instruction booklet was somewhat less than useful, but it all seems fairy intuitive - particularly with the head start of 65-70PSI - and 15A for thin stuff (Again @skotl or @gaz1 I think get thanks for that nugget).

Plugged it in - no spark beyond the pilot arc - so tightened up the torch components - and wow - it worked!!

Then - lo and behold - before I get a chance to do anything in earnest, I got swiped in the eye by a branch when walking the dog - effectively blinding me for three days.

Today was the first time back in the garage since then, and I'm REALLY pleased with it. I haven't measured it - but kerf is probably about 2mm on 1.5mm steel. It's like a hot knife through butter even on painted car panels. I grabbed a piece of old RSJ just to try the higher current, and again, it's very impressive - clean cutting, with little mess left to clean up.

I wish I'd bought one years ago!

zx9, skotl, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  12. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

yep been there done that for a cheapo one it will do me for what im going to use it for but if it was my job after that one id buy a more expensive one after it goes faulty

skotl give me it when i asked him by pm after that ive posted it up so it helps others out when they have theres much easier when you have a set numbers to follow by

works nice with 10mm as well

for the price of them im not grumberling at all ;):whistle:

skotl and Beanwood like this.
  13. AdrianH Forum Supporter

That will get smaller with practice and more speed on the thin stuff, not by much!

Hope it keeps fine for you. wear some form of face mask if hand-holding to both protect the eys and what you breath in as one tends to be over the work and close as when welding and the dross that gets blown about does not want to go into your lungs.

Adrian.

gaz1 and Beanwood like this.
  14. optima21 Forum Supporter

been out tonight for a play with my pilot arc cut50 and it looks like Adrian was right about the pilot arc being turned off once the plasma kicks in. my wiring was very temporary :laughing::laughing: I run mine from a 13 amp plug so with a cut set at 25A, the pilot arc uses about 8 amps until the cut is started, then the pilot arc is turned off.

DSC01526.JPG

DSC01527.JPG

15. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I have to do this on a stamos s-cutter 50.1 ,I have not bought it yet but is the best for my needs in that range of price

Which kind of resistor did you use for?

I calculated a battery of 6 in parallel configuration
    180 ohms and 100W
    Total 30ohms 600W
    And about 4A pilot arc

Have a question how much your cut 50 can cut through ?
    Was reading about and some says that you can cut also 30mm whit only 45A

Once I earned the quantity of money that I need to buy the plasma cutter ,a p80-6 torch (trafimet style) a brass ground clamp ,and the components to built the pilot arc circuit ...
    I want to try how much can cut (severance cuts)
    The technical schedule says 12mm but I think is the piercing capacity
    I think that can cut at least 20mm that is something of great for me .

16. AdrianH Forum Supporter

Mine is a cut 40 and realistically 6 mm 8 mm at a touch, 30 Ohms is to much take it down to around 15 Ohms that is what I have on mine. But that being said I have only done that as I use it for cnc work. if you are hand cutting with a drag tip you are always on the metal, so should not need pilot.
    Adrian

Memmeddu likes this.
  17. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I work on scrap metal repairing equipment , definitely need pilot arc.
    So the machine have 100V at 40A when cutting
    How much Ampères I need for pilot arc?

18. AdrianH Forum Supporter

I think you have the wrong idea of what my simple mod does, It starts a small arc between the electrode and the nozzle, the air blows it out from the torch it uses about 4 or 5 amps to do this, because the resistors are never taken out of circuit it relies on the arc transferring from the nozzle to the metal you are cutting to greatly reduce any current flowing through the resistors. A cut 40 uses 96 to 98 Volts so no difference to a cut50. it needs this 5 amps to maintain a small arc before transfer. On cnc work the nozzle does not rest on the metal being cut, so the arc is there to get over this small few mm gap.

Do not go as high as 30 Ohms use 15 Ohms, I was at 20 Ohms in the video and later came down in value. if you get a small pilot when in mid air and leave it like that you will burn the nozzle in no time.
    I have used 3 x 47 Ohm 100 watt resistors in parallel to give around 15 to 16 Ohms, I suggest you try around that value. If you really need to have pilot arc because of paint and bad rust, buy a Pilot arc machine. What I did may well work for you but I will give no guarantees.

Adrian

decca likes this.
  19. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Ok so I was on 600W and 30 ohms to avoid the problem of the consumables life
    600W was for have some sort of "duty cycle" on the pilot arc
    I will replace the torch with one rather for 80A and born for pilot arc
    So not a PT 31 but P80-6 (which is trafimet style)
    Have you other tips to help me to understand what do to make a enough good pilot arc ?
    I think pilot arc will stay on ,for about 30 seconds in bad situations (as removing rust to have a good ground)
    Machines with pilot arc are more expensive and I didn't find one that have gouging mode .
    Metalworking is an hobby for me otherwise was looking on an hiperterm

20. AdrianH Forum Supporter

I moved over to a SG-55A torch very similar if not identical to the SG60 series, the bigger the nozzle hole, the more air flow, the more current you need for Pilot, Hence optima Cut 50 on 8 amps that will be a lower value of resistor still and that unit will have a circuit to switch out the resistors or should have for when the arc has transferred.

If you look at item number 162616612458 on Ebay (OK in the UK) you will see a cut 50 supplied with Pilot arc and an SG55 style torch for sale at £195 UKP. Non Pilot arc machines supplied with a PT31 torch (which i think is the cheapest going) for £145. So I wonder why not save a bit more and buy the one that is an extra £50, it saves you buying resistors for a Pilot arc mod trying to make the external fitting to connect to the nozzle (see later videos as I had to midify it to allow air flow past it to help cool and clear dros) and then later also buying another torch.

I did it to mine because when I bought it there were no pilot arc Plasma that were less then £500 back in 2014.

I know you are going hobby, but if you are trying to get make some money, I do not want you to think later if only I had bought a slightly better machine in the first place rather than mess around with bits of resistors! You could potentially spend more maney in the long term.

Adrian

Memmeddu likes this.
Advertisements