Creaking floor tile!

1. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

I could do with some ideas on solving a problem which drives me up the wall!

The floor tiles in our kitchen are 600 x 600mm. One of them loudly creaks when you stand on the corner of it, and of course it is in a part of the kitchen which regularly gets walked on.

I don't want to try lifting it because there's a very good chance that it will chip or break and no one makes them any more. There is a very fine hairline crack in the grout around the tile, and i know that the tiles are really wells stuck down onto a concrete floor. I do have some spare grout which is a perfect match.

I'm thinking of injecting glue PVA? into the crack with a hyperdermic needle and letting it dry. Next door is an A&E doc so no bother to get these without appearing to be a junkie:thumbup:

Any thoughts/wise ideas from the collective?:thumbup:

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Nothing to loose trying it.
    I'm guessing your joists and boards downstairs there.
    If so it's probably not gonna help as will be the boards moving under the tiles.

3. keithski122 Member

uk
    Can you grind out the grout and get a screw into the wood or get something under the tile to secure it.I've got a similar problem but with vinyl tiles on a ply lined floor, needs an extra screw to fix the ply down.

4. RichardM Member

Try talcum powder in the joint, it worked our creaking floorboards.

rtcosic and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

What about injecting some of that expanding foam glue, I forget the name at the minute?

6. eLuSiVeMiTe

Polyeurothane glue. Might pop the tile.

7. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

that’s the stuff, could do if you over do it.

if you place something flat and heavy on top of the tile until it goes off should keep it in place.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    89518.jpg

:scared:

jimbo84, Turbo, Welderpaul and 8 others like this.
  9. jordan1 Member

Grind out the grout & remove the tile, if it's the sub floor loose correct that before replacing the tile & re-grouting

10. eLuSiVeMiTe

Use a carbide blade on a multi tool. Less dust and less chance of cocking up.

High risk of cracking the tile though.
    Normally they only come out in pieces unless there already pretty loose.

brightspark likes this.
  11. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Only real chance is if you can get some adhesive under it... pva or epoxy, probably best raking out the grout if you can. If it's the substrate that's loose you are not going to gave much joy

slim_boy_fat and brightspark like this.
  12. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

The Jaguar X351 has a design flaw with the sunroof. The aperture is huge and the bodyshell is not quite stiff enough to avoid creaks under certain conditions.
    JLR has a 'special' dry lubricant to apply to the seals which apparently stops the creaking long enough to last until the next service.

So if talcum powder doesn't work something like this might?

13. jordan1 Member

If it's the sub floor that's squeaking it's either fix it or live with it.

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

When we did our refurb my builder thought I was nuts asking him to double up every floor joist in the living room and insulating the floor before laying the very expensive oak floor!

My logic was....compared to the overall refurb costs it was cheap as chips paying for the joists.....so far no squeaks and people often think its a concrete floor!

So....if it's a wood joist floor underneath then I'd be looking at trying to get under the joists if you can and strengthen the floor structure. If it's concrete then should be a simple adhesive issue?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Onoff Member

Advertisements