Crane Fruehauf 5th wheel bed

1. F.J.

F.J. Member

Hi all,

I fabricated a 5th wheel bed last week for a good customer of mine for a Crane Fruehauf tanker trailer as they are no longer in production. The one removed from the trailer was rotten and the driver had also missed when coupling up and had damaged the king pin so a new pin was fitted too.

I used 8mm plate, 150mm x 75mm channel and 100mm x 75mm x 7mm angle iron. Drilling the 8mm plate took 50 minutes with the mag drill but i didn't have time to use the laser cutters i usually use as they were too busy to fit me in.

Thank being said, being back on the tools i enjoyed every bit of the build and it fits like a glove

• 1.jpg
    • 2.jpg
    • 3.jpg
    • 4.jpg
    • 5.jpg
    • 6.jpg
    indy4x, Craig-SM, eSCHEn and 14 others like this.
  2. How many hole saws did you use ? :whistle:
    Top job btw

3. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Probably an annular cutter - so most likely still using the same one, I'd guess.

All the Best,
    CJ

steve t likes this.
  4. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Definitely a hole saw

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Did it need plough grinding after all the welding on the back side of the turn plate?

Bob

6. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Is the pin not welded in through the back? Or is it a bolt on job?

7. F.J.

F.J. Member

It was a starret hole saw and plenty of cutting fluid, still sharp once the hole was cut too!

8. F.J.

F.J. Member

The bed was straight as a die even after welding. It was a consideration but I’d left enough time before welding everything completely

9. F.J.

F.J. Member

The pin was welded with 3 passes on the inside face of the plate. It is under the centre section of channel section and angle iron.

It wasn’t welded on the underside as it hadn’t been from the original manufacture

Advertisements