Copper air lines.

1. KimB

KimB Member

Hi everyone,

So I’m thinking about a plan for my air lines. I’d like to use copper on the wall and then run it up to a tap fitting with a pcl fitting screwed in.
    My compressor is a Clarke 3hp 150l thing, what pipe diameter should inlooo at using?

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

22 mm will be good and will give good cfm flow and cooling

123hotchef likes this.
  3. jack-daniels Member

123hotchef likes this.
  4. Ruffian Member

Why copper over say plastic press fit?

5. KimB

KimB Member

Because I’m going to make a secondary air cooler.

123hotchef and Ruffian like this.
  6. keithski122 Member

uk
    Copper cools air better.
    My set up.15mm copper, works out to about a seven metre run.Ball valves for water drainage, don't get any water past second valve(hidden by heater).
    3233.JPG

7. KimB

KimB Member

8. KimB

KimB Member

That’s pretty much my plan but I’m going to bend as much as I can :)

Sean and 123hotchef like this.
  9. jack-daniels Member

Unless the run is huge or multiple people are using it, I can't see the point of 22mm ( Except as brightspark said re. the cooling). Look at the internal bore size of a airline hose and fittings.

KimB likes this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

Farside likes this.
  11. knighty Forum Supporter

I'd just use 15mm.... it's bigger than any flexible air line I use and they've always flowed plenty of air (I've got a bigger one I was given.... I've never used it) - and straight pipes + smooth copper on the inside means they'll flow more too

also... you'll have more surface area per unit volume.... so 1cf or air inside a 15mm pipe will be in contact with more cold copper than in 22mm pipe

Hopefuldave and 123hotchef like this.
  12. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Make sure all your pipe has a fall, not just the cooler bit, you dont want any low spots where water will lie, and air will just flow over it.

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

copper has good cooling and heat dissipation conductivity plastic hasn't

Ruffian likes this.
  14. Ruffian Member

Yea just never thought of heat in the air being a real issue in a hobbyist workshop.
    What would cooler air be better for?

As the only time I know air temp to be anything is painful when it freezes your air tools.

15. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Cooler air takes up less volume, therefore you get a better volumetric flow, espescially between stages on a two stage compressor, improving efficiency. After cooling also condenses any moisture to dry the air, which makes for a better finish painting.

ajlelectronics likes this.
  16. brightspark

brightspark Member

using a lot of air sand blasting. the compressors normaly run at full whack and get red hot .the hot air goes down the pipe and cools off condensing the air to water . the water filter will take out the water . but once the air entering gets hot the moist air will bypass the filter and cool down and condense :(

17. brightspark

brightspark Member

using a mobile tow compressor on the larger pot I just run the whole lot for 10 minutes without the grit and get it all hot. a bit of water is expelled from the water separator then its all warm and dry then you can blast all day with no problems providing you don't stop for more than 5 mins otherwise it cools down and you then have water problems to start again :)

Advertisements