Coolant for tig torch cooler ?

1. chris pruteanu Member

Hi guys, i have a cheap, generic torch cooler and i keep seeing that people use specific coolant for tig and specifies the use of de-ionized water yet the manufacturer states that water can be used in it as well. I need it to be freeze proof as temperatures do go down to -30 C in winters in Romania and i was wondering that using quality g12 ethylene glycol and tap water is good enough ? The HF is working fine and cooler is doing its job however it makes a bit of froth on top of the tank ! Suggestions welcome...

2. optima21 Forum Supporter

I've got a cheap home made cooler and use etheylene glycol antifreeze in it as a coolant. it is done quite alot, but there are also concerns that due to the fine passages in the tig torches that the antifeeze can congeal in them and block them. I only very occasionally use my cooler and for the last and a half years its been fine with antifreeze in it. It may be corrosion inhibitors which cause the issue with blockages.

3. Richard.

Richard. Member

Your cooler might be very happy with tap water and antifreeze but your torch may not thank you for it.
    Some people get away with it for years
    Some don’t.

chris pruteanu likes this.
  4. carbon

carbon Member

I have a weldcraft cooler and the specified coolant in that is mostly Propylene glycol. Not sure if the exact % but can check next week

5. Hopefuldave Member

Some glycol car coolants have corrosion inhibitors in, the problem comes when they have leak stoppers too, I think that solidifies when forced through tight orifices (ooh!) - like in tig torches? There are some algae that can live in water/glycol mixtures so I've put a bit of fish tank algicide in, too soon to tell whether it works...
    When I back-flushed the torch/hose/welder i got a bit of brown pond-slime sludge so *something* was living in there...

Dave H. (the other one)

Richard. likes this.
  6. chris pruteanu Member

I use the cooler every day about an hour or two so its not like its sitting idle, the cooler has a powerful pump as well, it makes the hoses twitch when first started ! I do not know how small the passages inside the torch head are but i dont want to chance it ! Do you guys know what should i use ? Water and windscreen fluid is ok ? We do get proper screenwash with loads of alcohol in so it doesn't freezes at -30 Celsius ! I heard some people go for that too !

7. chris pruteanu Member

Please do !

8. chris pruteanu Member

Spring/Tap water in Romania is very, very clean ! The water is not hard at all so i am not concerned from that point of view ! I can use de-ionised water to fill the tank with however i feel that's a gimmick ! If i boil water from my well is a lot, lot purer than the bottled stuff they sell in shops !

9. no idea Member

Does your welder actually go down to -30 degrees? Binzel do some coolants rated to -12 degrees, -17 degrees and -45 degrees. It's worth checking if this is available where you are.

10. chris pruteanu Member

I don't think i ever welded at that low temp ! I am sure it might refuse to fire in that cold weather, what i am on is avoiding of getting frozen and breaking the pump in the cooler. I am sure that hoses will expand if water/fluid are left into it !

11. Hopefuldave Member

More likely that freezing will kill the pump?...

12. chris pruteanu Member

I think i will get some proper coolant then and see how i get on with it ! I am quite intrigued how small the passages inside the torch head really are ! Anyone has any cutaway of a broken torch head, water cooled if possible ? Thanks in advance !

13. Hopefuldave Member

14. Richard.

Richard. Member

Chris a typical 5 L tank will cost about £15-20 to fill with the proper solution and you won’t need to touch it again for years. It’s really not worth worrying about trying to save money here.

15. chris pruteanu Member

Thanks guys ! I will get the recommended coolant and see how i get on with it ! Thank you for your suggestions !

16. carbon

carbon Member

Sorry it’s taken a while, a picture of the contents

228E422D-A777-43D7-AA4E-2F7BD65630F8.jpeg

chris pruteanu and Wallace like this.
  17. chris pruteanu Member

Thank You !

Advertisements