Compressor issues

1. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I think i may have goosed my compressor.

Sorting the place out before starting to strip my bandsaw down for restoration I decided to check the compressor as i noticed it was sounding slightly different. I have it up in the loft out the way, its a 4 year old SGS 14cmf unit with not much use.

When i went up it was covered in oil as was all the roof above it and most of the surround stuff. Now, i think i know what's caused this - me :( I lost the plastic oil bung so just wedged a bit of aluminium in that happened to fit, this is still firmly wedged in place the oil seems to be coming from under the air intakes somewhere.

I know the oil bung is supposed to have a vent to relieve pressure and I'm thinking this pressure has caused the issue.

here's my sticking plaster that i think has caused this !
    IMG_4369.jpeg

Also noticed another few problems (really not impressed with the quality of this machine) the regulators made of cheese it seems

IMG_4368.jpeg

and connecting pipe flanges are in bits

IMG_4371.jpeg

So before i start replacing the regulator any ideas or thoughts on what damage i have caused internally?

thanks in advance

2. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

I cant see any internal damage getting done but you may have forced oil into the reed valves in the heads and as they leak then the problem of air and blow-by oil coming up into the valve bodies increases and gets worse...at the very least i would take the heads off and clean the reeds with brake cleaner and try find a vented filler bung or make one thats vented..

R-D-R and daleyd like this.
  3. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Thanks. I’m going to turn a new bung out of some Delrin and include some venting.

I’ll take it apart and Clean it up as suggested. I think I’m going to re plumb things too. I will fit the pressure switch direct to the tank port omitting the regulator and manifold. I will port the airline from the other blanked port on the end of the tank and just use my main regulator. I have the compressor regulator open Permanently anyway it will be simpler with less to go wrong like that.

4. mr haynes Member

Catch tank out a bottle and length of hose stuck in bung hole

R-D-R likes this.
  5. R-D-R Forum Supporter

finally had some time today to loo at the compressor, i think its ok but after stripping it there was evidence oil had been getting onto the wrong side of the heads:

IMG_4392.jpeg

cleaned it all out

IMG_4395.jpeg

I think i'm going to run some new pipes - some of them never sealed well. I was looking at the flares can anyone educate me on what type these are?

IMG_4397.jpeg

• IMG_4396.jpeg
    • IMG_4393.jpeg
  6. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Update

Got round to rebuilding the compressor today. Stripped the crappy manifold, pipes and pressure switch off it and binned them. Installed a better quality pressure switch and built up a manifold from 15mm pipe. I also machined a plastic oil bung with the all important breather hole!

fired it up and no oil flying everywhere :-) checked joints for leaks and all seems good.

I have an auto drain valve on the way, also running new airline pipes including a bit of a cooling circuit plus I have two new norgren regulators to install.

FC68D494-92DB-444C-A553-48CAF1306B4D.jpeg

Farside, Bear, brightspark and 2 others like this.
Advertisements