Complete beginner here is this right?

1. Riot van New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Hi

I'm a complete beginner to welding bought my first Mig a Clarke 100. I've plugged it in checked the wire spool is good and set up 2 bits of scrap metal rods in a vice to test the machine. The pic shows the setup. Work piece in vice with earth/return clamp attached and torch ready to go Is this correct? (The silver clamp is just to hold the workpiece in vice)

I'm concerned about being electrocuted that's my main worry with welding so I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. As long as the earth clamp is attached to the workpiece I should be OK?

Also can you hold or touch a workpiece while welding or would you get shocked? Cheers

[​IMG]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29495489@N02/49157677656/in/dateposted/

[​IMG]

2. earthman Member

Photo isn't showing for me.

Memmeddu and Riot van like this.
  3. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

[​IMG]

The clamp goes in the piece you're welding so looks ok. If you don't connect it up correctly you won't get the circuit and nothing happens

Riot van likes this.
  4. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Have you read the tutorials on here? If not click on “MIG” at the top of the page.

stuvy likes this.
  5. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

BTW I assume you're not using gas with the connection setup?

6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Personally I'd stick the earth on the main length and then use a pair of mole grips to hold the smaller piece in place but thats just personal preference....then point the wire at the main piece for a first tack.

The way you've set it up looks OK but depending on where you point the wire you may not get a great electrical circuit because the contact area between the two pieces could be very small I think.

7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Just wear a pair of leather gloves and you will be safe, don't stand in a puddle though :D I've never had a shock from mig but I have had the occasional tickle from arc welding. If you don't have a pacemaker you should be ok getting the occasional buzz anyway it's not at mains voltage.

8. north Member

I only get some juice into the body when i laid in the rainy and wet mud. Little juice in the body is not a problem its just good. Best is to weld outside when its dry. Maybe its dangerous to weld when its rainy and wet. Its not rekommended to do so. Its up to you to decide what its best. We can say wet leads and you got some jouce into your body...Not nice....With experince i dont weld in rainy weather....Water and electricity can be dangerous so be aware. Could be deadly. :o

9. Yamhon Member

It is dangerous , in that there is an increased risk of electrical shock; to be welding in wet weather, on wet ground and in damp clothes. People have died from getting complacent with health and safety and have been fatally shocked.

Not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

10. eddie49 Member

11. Pete.

Pete. Member

For what the OP is doing, electrocution isn't a risk. Let's not make this difficult for him.

I will say though that what you're choosing to practice on isn't making life easy for yourself as a raw beginner. Better to start with some nice clean flat coupons of metal on a bench at a comfortable working height. And don't weld on that lovely vice :)

Nick DV, eLuSiVeMiTe, Parm and 2 others like this.
  12. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

I’ve spent almost the last 30 years working in H&S. While I haven’t seen everything I’m definitely not aware of an electrocution from welding.

Care to provide any evidence of what you say?

Nick DV and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  13. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Nick DV, bourbon and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  14. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Yes you can touch/hold the work piece when welding without getting shocked :thumbup:

Sean, Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    at 80 OCV, the amount of moisture around has a significant effect on how severe an electric shock will be.

Bone dry equipment and dry hands, most people have a high enough skin resistance to avoid a shock. As soon as sweat and moisture are introduced, the resistance goes down so much that most people will get a shock... and then there's a whole load more factors as to how big a shock it will be, and whether it will kill.

Yamhon likes this.
  16. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    only ever had a tingle from welding current , it was summer i was sweating like a sweaty thing and id braced myself against the workbench finger on the item to be tacked and tapped the tig pedal.

ive had worse off a scelextic track when i was a kid!

Parm likes this.
Advertisements