Not overly helpful that the controls for the mill have no markings:

498DE93E-72C0-483B-B3F2-07E2B0364E95.jpeg

Estop, Power on, Power off.
    Knee up, Suds on, Spindle Fwd - Rev.
    Knee down, Suds off, Spindle off.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. MattH

MattH Member

Moved the mill back into position today. Amazing what can be achieved with a pallet truck and a few blocks of hardwood.
    Fitted some heavy duty machine mounts as well.

Now I just need to level it and run a airline to it.

9D603B91-A177-4C6B-83A2-741A2F2E7BFE.jpeg C865F65D-F211-437F-83F2-E9E3948901E5.jpeg 56DC1547-073D-4461-82A0-1E70F6A5A69C.jpeg 67A69D26-28C7-4861-8989-D85FA83A021A.jpeg

Pete., Andy the fixer, Mattuk and 2 others like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Looks right at home there :thumbup:

MattH likes this.
  4. MattH

MattH Member

Levelled out the mill today using a Moore and Wright 18” machinist level.

Got it bang on:

489912AF-5D53-4E66-B67F-F9CB75088185.jpeg 4AD11FB1-711A-4BF1-A713-25D0E1044405.jpeg B1064265-7290-4DC4-AC87-B616A0128968.jpeg

5. Mattuk Member

6. MattH

MattH Member

Ran an airline to the mill today and trimmed the head in (not quite perfect yet).

Mounted a vice and faced off an old piece of steel plate that was kicking around.

@Richard. some chips for you.

733C88EF-1EEE-4249-AA72-AF65235FC119.jpeg 78CEC048-4A3C-4EE6-8AF1-9F0703C8EB86.jpeg 91B4C67E-9036-465E-96F1-A6BC2909900D.jpeg 96A05E07-A742-4BAA-9578-E03A77DE2740.jpeg 1FD5F447-DA2D-4F35-9B93-93780ABDE9E0.jpeg

Video to follow.

Parm, galooph, Woody.v8 and 2 others like this.
  7. Richard.

Richard. Member

MattH likes this.
  8. MattH

MattH Member

Mattuk, Parm, galooph and 3 others like this.
  9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I like how you said you connected air up, you didn't tell us it was mouth powered :D

Looks like quite an easy and comprehensive conversational control that it has :)

There was a slight pause at the start of the next pass, is that backlash or is it just in exact stop mode or?

MattH likes this.
  10. MattH

MattH Member

Lol, I did put a tee in so I can connect up an airline but didn’t get around to it. The air is for the power drawbar.

There’s no decernable backlash, it has ground ball screws and using the hand wheels and looking at the dro I can’t see any.
    With the linear scales the control is fully closed loop.

I presume the way the control creates a facing pass is exact stop. I ran some test pockets and circles the other day and they looked to be CV.

There’s no GCode here though so it’s hard to tell.

11. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Is it conversational only or can you DNC code to it?

12. MattH

MattH Member

No, it’s conversational only but you can save the programs.

To be honest it’s a prime candidate for a conversion but the only controller I know of that can close the loop with linear scales is the Kflop which I’m not that keen on (I have one from a few years back).

This machine will probably stay as it is and I will eventually build the small square column mill that I have been planning.

The idea is to finally build my big CNC router after the Xmas rush and use this mill to assist with that.

13. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

The IP/A should be able to take feedback from scales. They have their own software now but sadly I can't try it out as my IP/A is the previous generation and it needs the FP4, so no idea if it is any good or how they are progressing with it.

MattH likes this.
  14. MattH

MattH Member

That interesting as I have gone off Mach3 and have zero interest in Mach4.

The next router build will be using a UC300 with UCCNC.

15. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Mach3 works fine for me as far as it goes but I won't be going to Mach4 as I have no appetite to learn Lua.

16. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

You pair might as well be talking in binary for me. I need to learn about programing stuff.

dobbslc, slim_boy_fat, Parm and 2 others like this.
  17. scott0031 Member

England Kent
    Is most likely 'look ahead' with the controller. All controllers have a look ahead where it will try to read the upcoming lines of code to prevent stops in the program while its reading the new information. This is common in a lot of older controllers to see stops like this. It's stopping to read the next lines of information so it knows what to do next.

I think i commented on that controller in an old post you made Matt when you got this machine, more specifically aimed the controller. If you find the control box it will have rs 232 port in the box so you can dnc the controller and run Cam. The reason why i commented about the control was, I'm not sure if you were aware they are actually an anilam controller more or less. They derived from anilam and anilam is all but defunked now, re-badged and sold under the acu-rite name. My belief is there was very good reason for this after being one of the poor sods to have a anilam control retrofitted to a machine a lot of cost. Animal was bought Heidenhain ( seimens maybe? cant recall now) i believe to reduce the market and get rid of them out of the market, so there is a extremely high chance acu rite is owned by them also... This is very bad news from a spares point of view.

I would be interested to see onside the control box to see if they are identical to the anilams later versions knows as the Mk range and also to look at the servo drivers/ amplifier. If they are the same or not because the anilams servo drivers made by a company called glentec and are not good news at all.

Check to see if the controller box is rubber mounted, if it isn't, look at a doing so to save yourself a fortune in spares cost. The anilams used a hard drive, if yours is the same look at rubber mounting it or suspending the drive to keep vibrations away. I'm certain this was a ploy by anilam uk when they existed to make sure you pay a lot in spares and engineers costs.. everything was hard mounted and this is a sure way to a quick death of a controller on small machine which does not have the ability to dissipate vibration such as a vmc

I'm not trying to damped your thread, but as im sure you can see i had a lot very hard learnt experience which cos me a fortune i could not afford as a small one man band. After 3 to 4 years (and the machine being out of commission for long periods) i took the machine out of commission totally for these reasons. It was costing more than i could make out of it.

MattH likes this.
  18. MattH

MattH Member

The control is a DOS based program that is installed on a hard drive.
    I plan to clone the drive to a spare so I can replace it if required. The pc is a standard AT based DX2-66 so would be easy to repair/replace.
    I don’t know about the servo drives but the servos are standard DC premenent magnet motors.

There is an RS232 port but this is only so the controller can backup and retrieve files from a PC running the required interface software. You cannot send code to the machine that has been prepped elsewhere.

If anything complex went wrong I would just rip the lot out and replace with a new solution.
    At this point I would added a servo driven quill and make it a fully 3 axis capable machine.

My background is in electronic servicing and I have spent the last 20 years working in IT so I’m not too worried.

Appreciate the comments though.

And yes the controller is doing look ahead as there is an option under the run menu to disable it.

WorkshopChris likes this.
  19. MattH

MattH Member

@scott0031

2018-11-12 14.38.48.jpg 2018-11-12 14.39.00.jpg 2018-11-12 14.39.07.jpg 2018-11-12 14.39.13.jpg 2018-11-12 14.39.34.jpg

You called it, no rubber mounting.

As I said, I'm not too concerned as a failure would give me the excuse to do a retrofit with a modern control.
    And this isn't (at this time) a business machine for me so I am not reliant on it.

20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Once you start using it though you will change your tune :D

MattH likes this.
Advertisements