Collets

1. BelgiqueB Member

New old lathe owner, bought some second hand collets in an impulse buy, not really thinking about how I use/mount them in my lathe :laughing:.

So how do I use these (I know i should've thought of that before buying :-) )? I'm thinking machine some kind of seating piece that mounts on the spindle with the same taper as the collets and then a drawbar to go through the spindle which pulls/seats the collets in the seating piece?

Any advice or pictures would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Christof.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-08 at 18.42.52.jpeg Schermafbeelding 2019-12-07 om 14.11.01.png

fizzy likes this.
  2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Any numbers on the collets other than sizes.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. BelgiqueB Member

Haven't received them yet, they are W25 collets according to the seller.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  4. Ali

Ali Member

That’s a lovely little lathe, who is the manufacturer?

You might find that if you remove the chuck the collets slip straight into the spindle, if they’re correct for the machine. Then you need a suitable collet ‘nut’, which might just screw straight onto the spindle nose, depending how the chuck is mounted.

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

Drawbar for those.

Edit.
    Yup

Ali likes this.
  6. eLuSiVeMiTe

What's the lathe?

schaublin?

7. BelgiqueB Member

Simplex mondiale, I bought it for 200€ completely disassembled, after 6 months of assembly, disassembly, reassembly, a burnt up motor and a broken chuck I finally got it running smoothly :laughing:.

More info: http://www.lathes.co.uk/mondiale/page5.html

Hopefuldave, fizzy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. eLuSiVeMiTe

4 Morse taper in the spindle then. Definitely not gonna get these in the spindle.

Collet Chuck for w25 here to get you in the right direction.
    Will need to machine a backplate to mount it to.

https://www.directindustry.com/prod/ladner-sas/product-57007-1475939.html

9. eLuSiVeMiTe

10. m_c Member

They're essentially a slightly bigger version of a 5C collet, so if you search for 5C collet chuck, you should get some ideas.
    The yanks seem to love 5C collets, so there should be plenty plans around.

Personally though, for a lathe, I'd go the ER collet route, as it saves having to use a drawbar/tube, unless you plan on doing lots of repetitive work, where a quick release/lever operated 5C style collet chuck would be beneficial.
    An ER chuck means everything is front loading, with no need to install drawtubes every time you want to use collets. Just swap the chuck, and you're good to go.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. eLuSiVeMiTe

Can shove an mt4 collet Chuck down the spindle and negate all the drawbar swapping excluding the initial fitting. obviously
    Also means don't have to machine a new backplate and possibly save losing some real estate to it.

12. m_c Member

But then you lose through spindle capability.

Ultimately it depends on what you're planning on doing, and what you have available, but I personally think an ER collet chuck is the most versatile option.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  13. eLuSiVeMiTe

True. Didn't occur to me as my collets are a direct fit and the draw bar is hollow.

14. BelgiqueB Member

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  15. BelgiqueB Member

Thanks for all the replies, i was thinking of making something similar as to what the guy did in the youtube clip below, but instead of using ER collet system, using a hollow drawbar to lock the collet in place.

My main use for the collets would be when doing some very light milling work on the lathe or repeatability when 'chucking' smaller diameters. My lathe is only for hobby use, so speed, etc is not an issue for me.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  16. RichardM Member

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just check the required drawbar will fit through the spindle and be able to tighten the collet.

Advertisements