Clash of the titans

1. Robbie260 Member

Time to buy a new car that is better suited to my needs. And since the new defender has been released and i wont be buying one it comes down to a choice of two. They will be used for a bit of work, camping and towing usually a car transporter with a landy series 3 swb.

In the blue corner the isuzu dmax utility. Screenshot_20190911-181514_Samsung Internet.jpg
    No real tool racking made for the inside. Can tow 3.5 tons empty or 2.5 fully loaded.

In the red corner. The Vw transporter lwb t5 t32 4 motion crew van. Screenshot_20190911-181615_Samsung Internet.jpg can tow 2.5 tons or 2 ton fully loaded it just manages the car transporter and landy just. Risk of looking a bit too much of a hippy. Van racking is readily avalible.

Two very different vehicles i know but opins and experiances with both.

2. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

hate vw with a passion, overpriced rubbish ive found! mate had an izuzu for a bit for work when his landy packed in, if he couldnt break it they must be half decent

rtcosic, Kayos, stuvy and 3 others like this.
  3. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Not quite my style now something like this
    upload_2019-9-11_19-49-6.png

johnik and dobbslc like this.
  4. Ruffian Member

VW transporters are good but the modern ones arent the same as the old ones. (Pre 2010)

I personally wouldn't go for a newer one.
    I have heard nothing but praise for the d-max though.

stuvy and Robbie260 like this.
  5. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

If you choose the pick up, Id suggest you, buy a higher specced model, itll hold its price far better!

stuvy and Robbie260 like this.
  6. Robbie260 Member

Would buy a high spec one but out of budget range. And i really really hate electronic gubbins.

7. Robbie260 Member

I could try but my spacial awerness makes me think i aint going to get a welder and tool chest in there.

500e, slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  8. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

That T5 van in the advert is about the worst one made for reliability. The 180 ps engine is renowned for failing at about 70,000 mls and the dsg boxes don't go for any longer. The 4 motion has problems too. If you want a T5, go for the 2.0L 6 speed.

Robbie260 likes this.
  9. Kayos

Kayos Member

Hate VW but the Isuzu utility will be full on tractor spec, having said that, the nice ones are also tractor spec, but with nicer wheels

Still think they are the best looking pick ups

Robbie260 and stuvy like this.
  10. Robbie260 Member

Coming from a series landy i can live with full on tractor spec isuzu style.

Kayos likes this.
  11. Robbie260 Member

The one im looking at is a t5 with the 140 bhp engine so one of the slightly better ones and its a manual. Hate autos with a passion.

Ton-up likes this.
  12. Kayos

Kayos Member

I know you have posted in my thread so you will know what I mean, if the garage had the Isuzu I wanted it would be parked outside now, but I couldnt cope with the lower spec ones

I did 230 miles in the L200 yesterday, made me realise how much of a rattle box the Disco is

Robbie260 and dobbslc like this.
  13. Robbie260 Member

Should find out to day as im taking one for a test drive.

14. zx9

zx9 Member

Transporter syncros / 4motions with the right tyres are amazing on snow and ice, the reason why so many of them are used as mini buses / taxis in Austrian ski resorts.

Robbie260 likes this.
  15. Robbie260 Member

Well took the isuzu for a test drive today. First gear in high range is really just a crawler gear and 2nd is probably the one you would use most for take offs. The ride was very smooth even unladen in comparison to my trailer driving instructors last gen hilux. It didnt sqeak or rattle. I was extremely impressed.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements