Clarke Weld MIG205TE Turbo and hard wiring it in ?

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

I am thinking on a Clarke Weld MIG205TE Turbo for welding the van and then taking it to the boat to weld up.
    I read it needs to be hard wired, little confused as ti is a mobile unit so whagt does ity actually mean to be ` hard wired ` ?

2. Wildefalcon Member

I think it means a big plug, like a commando plug, rather than a 3 pin domestic plug.

W.olly likes this.
  3. W.olly

W.olly Member

Ah reat, i wondered why it sounded odd.
    Looking at the SIP HG2300MP MIG/TIG/ARC

to many welders to choose from nowadays.

4. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Hard wired means direct connection, no plug.
    You should be able to fit a 32A commando plug on it though.

metalmelt and W.olly like this.
  5. W.olly

W.olly Member

so sounds like a 13amp plug would be a weak link in the wiring up by sounds, but the commando plug will be ok, thanks for confirming chaps :)

6. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    You may be able to squeeze the cores into a 13A plug but you'll only be able to run it at maybe 3/4 output, you certainly wouldn't get it to run at max without popping the fuse.

metalmelt likes this.
  7. W.olly

W.olly Member

I have a few commando plugs here but think there 16amp, well int workshop somewhere. ill do it with a commando instead of bodging a 13amp on it.

saying that now though i like the sound of the sip weldmate hg2300mp review more now with the better duty cycle.

8. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    Hmmm.... seems it's only 185A, not 205 as the name would suggest so you would in fact get almost full output out of it on a 13A plug though if you do use it on high settings for extended periods there's a good chance the fuse will pop.
    As long as you can get the cores in to the plug and use a decent quality one you might save yourself a bit of bother.

9. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    You'll definitely be ok with a 16A commando. You can always make up a lead with a 13A plug on one end and a 16A socket on the other to give you more flexibility over where you can use it.

metalmelt likes this.
  10. W.olly

W.olly Member

I use a tail for my Cros Arc 200DC HF i have now. a bit cheesed as i only need a Mig really for the van welding , the Cors Arc will do the narrow boat welding. I used to MMA car welding but its a pain in the **** to do it.

Wozzaaah likes this.
  11. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    I had a Clarke 250TE

It would blow the fuse on a 13amp plug, but only after a couple of inches of welding

It did have a 32a commando plug fitted, but then a short lead adapter to a 13a plug, for use where there was no socket,

I would just buy a pack of 13a fuses, but I rarely blew them, I would weld a bit, then stop to let the fuse cool down

Advertisements