Clarke SHHH 100-50

1. Bri1862 New Member

My Compressor has stopped filling the tank, and blowing smoke from the Air intakes.
    Ive checked the non return valves and all seem correct and functioning but im at a lose as to why its suddenly stopped filling the tank, gets to about 1psi and thats it. Ive always used clarke Oil and levels seem ok, the other thing is that when i checked the non return valves they were full of oily water!

20180430_170033.jpg Any ideas guys?

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

When you say Clarke oil do you mean the specific oil for "Shhhh" compressors?

Do the pumps run OK with the outlet hoses disconnected?

Fridge motor pumps like those do mix oil and water.

3. Bri1862 New Member

this is the smoke, only when i turn it off.
    20180430_201051.jpg

been running for 10mins

20180430_201051.jpg

• 20180430_201012.jpg
  4. Bri1862 New Member

Yes, only shhh oil and i do get good air when the flexi hoses are disconnected.

5. rtbcomp

Make sure there's no air in the tank and dismantle the non-return valve, it may be sticking. Are those two items the flexi connects to valves? If so make sure they are clear, if not the pump will stall or run very hot, causing the thermal trip to open.

6. Bri1862 New Member

Heres the full picture, inside the hex tubes are little rubber bungs are these the non return valves?

20180430_200951.jpg

7. rtbcomp

Not sure what they are, they fasten into a manifold which itself is screwed into a non-return valve (NRV)

8. Bri1862 New Member

replaced the nrv on tank inlet (bit in black circle) and it get up to pressure, but when i started working the pumps kicked in but will only reach 3psi!

any more ideas guys
    20180430_200951_LI.jpg

9. rtbcomp

What are you using it to drive? - the volume of air these produce is next to useless. If the tank reaches working pressure (about 100 psi?) the the pumps are ok (you could check to see if they're both running).

10. Bri1862 New Member

lv/lp paint gun. spraying in 3 minute bursts. the compressor used to be fine spray for 3-5mins then let it come back to pressure and start again. letting compressor rest every 15mins or so.

11. Bri1862 New Member

Any ideas why i should get smoke from these, i thought they were inlet? the right one actually spat some oil out of it!
    think its on its way out?

20180430_201051_LI.jpg

12. Bri1862 New Member

FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER SITE:

Air Comes Out Of The Oil Fill Cap - The Fix

Can you disregard the air coming out of the oil fill tube if the cap stays on? Sure. It depends on the amount of air escaping.
    Ignoring the leak will mean that your air compressor will have to run longer to fill the tank to cut out.

Ignoring the leaking air will mean that, even as the air is bypassing the piston seal into the sump, compressor oil is, too, getting from the sump into the air going into the tank with the repercussions noted earlier. You will have to monitor the oil level carefully as well, to ensure that low oil doesn't cause a compressor overheat.

The bottom line is that eventually you will have to replace the piston seal to correct this problem.

That will lead to issues of finding parts, as many of the low cost, big box store type compressors, have no parts suppliers at all. Still, you can often find piston seals that are not Original Equipment Manufactured, but are available from industrial seal suppliers.

If you Google "air compressor piston seal" as I just did, you will find a host of suppliers. It will be necessary to tear down the pump and remove the piston to get at the seals. Remove what is left of them and measure the actual size of the seal and it's O.D. This will help you narrow down suppliers of a piston seal that will fit your compressor piston.

When the pump is disassembled, make sure that the inside of the cylinder is inspected. A badly worn piston seal may have allowed the metal of the piston to come into contact with the cylinder wall, and the result may be a scored cylinder. That being the case, replacing just the piston seal may not be enough. It may be necessary to replace the cylinder sleeve too.

A liitle bit of air coming out of the oil fill vent cap is normal. A lot indicates a pretty serious problem with the pump, and it should be corrected sooner rather than later.

I THINK THIS MAY BE MY PROBLEM.

13. Bri1862 New Member

Has anyone taken one of these motors apart??

14. Sels New Member

Hi,
    Did you ever fix this? I have the same problem and need to rebuild one of the units.

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard :waving: , but that Member hasn't been on the forum since May, 2018 so I doubt if you'll get a response.

Hopefully, another Member might be in a position to offer a solution.

Advertisements