Clarke SE10C110 rebuild

1. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

Having read through @gasket999 Clarke compressor rebuild guide I want to share my own endeavours with my Clarke SE10C110 rebuild that I picked up for the princely sum of €50. IMG_20201119_150225.jpg

daleyd likes this.
  2. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

The motor is completely seized, stator is rusted to the coils, it is beyond repair and not even worth posting a picture of.

3. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

I have my own motor, the compressor came with a 2hp Moto from the factory. The motor I have is 1.5hp, will it do the job? I have no idea but I am running with this for now.

4. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

As regards the pump, it didn't look in great shape initially. However, upon inspection there maybe life left in it.

The head and filter are missing. The pistons where a bit rusty but a quick clean with wd40 shows them to be in good nick and the rings are also fine. IMG_20201119_150306.jpg

I have sourced the parts diagram for both the pump and the compressor from Machine Mart. I rang Clarke's and they pointed me towards Machine Mart.

daleyd likes this.
  5. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

The cylinders are showning some scouring IMG_20201119_150416.jpg

Perhaps some honing will address this? The suction is good, as I have put my hand on the cylinder and rotated the pump crank, with a disposable glove on my hand, my hand is getting sucked into the cylinder.

6. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

Upon contacting Machine Mart I have been quoted just under £140 for the parts I need to rebuild the pump. However I have queries some parts with them, the 'gasket kit' they have quoted. Machine Mart cannot confirm what gaskets are actually in the kit until I buy it. Cart before the horse I would have thought. So things are at a standstill until MM get their act together.

7. Wallace

Wallace Member

Those bores don't look very pretty, I see some very deep pitting in the closeup photo.

daleyd and 3000alloy like this.
  8. daleyd

daleyd Member

Hopefully the deep pitting is over the top of the high mark - looks like it might be but hard to see from pic

Wallace likes this.
  9. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

I think they might be but i need to look at that.

daleyd likes this.
  10. Wallace

Wallace Member

Does a replacement head include the valve plate?

11. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

MK92.jpg

12. Wallace

Wallace Member

No.31 is the valve plate, do you have that or include it in the Machine Mart inquiry?

What are the little twin cylinder compressors in the background from? They look like Thomas Wobl compressors.

13. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

Yes, everything from 27 up an the diagram has been requested from MM.

And yes, they are Thomas compressors, got them from a dental practice clearout. I have another two that are missing parts.

Wallace likes this.
  14. Wallace

Wallace Member

Good little units, I worked for a company that used them in Oxygen Concentrators. We used to rebuild them too, very little to wear out.

3000alloy likes this.
  15. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

So just a quick update. I have been trying to deal with Machine Mart, Nottingham for a number of weeks now to get clarification on parts and other basic requests. And to be honest it is a complete ball ache. Never, and I mean never have I had to deal with such poor service in all my life. Some of the most basic requests I have made are met with confusion in Machine Mart, now I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater but rather its the particular individual I have to deal with in Machine Mart is the problem. I have ruled out refurbishing this pump as it is simply to stressful and would cost as much as a replacement pump would, give or take.

Anyway to the present, I will be sourcing a replacement pump through other avenues. Be it second hand or new. If anyone is looking for bottom end parts for a MK92 Clarke pump give me PM if your interested. Rant over.

16. Submariner1 Member

Would this do for £145 new
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B28 (B2800B), 2-3Hp Lubricated
    https://www.compressorshop.co.uk/b28-b2800b-2-3hp-lubricated-belt-driven-nuair-abac-compressor-pump
    very pleased with mine, runs at 1250 rpm on a 3hp, pretty quiet but only 12.5 cfm
    Excellent customer service with good technician to support me.
    Mine has a 2 year warranty.
    From fill timings mine seems to be 8.9 cfm FAD so for some this just might not have enough grunt.

only mentioned as you said you were contemplating £140 on parts ... and no gtee it would work.
    This is a brand new unit.

3000alloy likes this.
  17. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

Thank you for the link, yes this would do my needs alright. Just have to check shipping to NI. I can source one with Irish Garage Equipment in Dublin for €149 collected.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  18. Submariner1 Member

Just thought I would say I am a total compressed air newbie.
    And as new not really used yet.
    It works as it should - no leaks on pump, and runs at 1,250 rpm and for my untrained ear seems a hell of a lot quieter than my friends direct drive.
    I should add on my compressor, it dumps the air between the pump and the tank every time it stops. And also if started with an empty tank, for 13 seconds it runs letting a small amount of air bleed from under the switch to make it easy for the pump to get up to speed.
    I assume thats so it can run the 3 hp motor off a standard 13A plug?
    Mentioned this as this functionality might be mandatory and is delivered by gadgets not on the bare pump ( or at least not depicted in the advert ). But I guess you understand all that stuff.

19. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

So after the sitting around eating and drinking for the last 3 days or so, I had to get back to the shed for some wrenchin'. I sourced a new pump from Irish Garage Equipment just before Christmas. Positioned and fitted along with the motor today and got it running. Runs smooth and fills the 110L tank in a few minutes. IMG_20201227_134157.jpg

fizzy, Farside and RWD3M like this.
  20. Submariner1 Member

Glad to see it worked out. Note mine has a plastic cowl on it, to enhance cooling.
    The head Rarely seems to go past pretty warm, (say on a Fill from empty two times in a row) definitely not hot, Although not run extensively.

HINT: My compressor handbook said to torque the head down before the first run, and then after a short time re-torque it before extensive use.
    Note it also said failure to do this, invalidates the warranty!

puzzled by this, surely the Factory torgue them up?, and why a second time?
    As it was, mine were all spot on; with only one needing a 3 degree extra turn to hit 27 Nm.

fizzy likes this.
Advertisements