Clarke Raider 15/500 VS Airmaster Tiger 11/510

1. earthman Member

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

duno if helps but I wouldn't buy a direct drive compressor only a belt drive one .far more reliable and easy to fix if anything goes wrong

jsf55 and fizzy like this.
  3. james butler

james butler Member

i have a raider and its been working hard for the last 9/10 years
    a lot cheaper than belt driven but an awful lot noisier

fizzy likes this.
  4. earthman Member

Thanks, I've been using a smaller Tiger model for that sort of time too, belt driven machines cost too much for me.

fizzy likes this.
  5. Hog-Rider Member

I have 2 of those compressors coupled together. One is about 15 years old, After about 5 years the big plastic cooling Fan disintegrated ! Not being able to buy a replacement Fan 10 years ago, I just carried on using it and for the last 10 years it has been ok lol,, Also about 10 years ago I bought another a second compressor.I found that they might be classed as 3hp and 50ltr but I still struggled to use an air impact gun well in actual fact I have at least 3 different types and makes of Air ratchet guns ,Air die grinders etc they never worked as they should, I struggled to spray the side of a Van just kept on running low on air.(( That was when I only had one compressor )) Now with 2 compressors running its ok ... After all these years though I have removed the inspection Bung/plug in the end of one compressor and installed fittings so I can get a full output of Air if needed and with a larger bore air line,Thats made a big difference ,For normal Air use I just switch on one compressor and close the valve to the second, If I want more Air I open both connecting valves and have the 2 compressors working together..... Hope that helps you a bit."PS These 2 compressors are NOT belt drive"

6. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Have a look in the back section of bigger machine marts. They often have a returns section. I bought my belt drive compressor for the same price as a direct drive. Had never even had a plug fitted. Just a small dent in the belt guard.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    My uncles were using a similar direct drive compressor, sealey iirc, in their full time motor vehicle workshop, for around 10 years after their big old belt driven compressor broke. It was very slow, extremely noisy, and generally a hateful thing... but it DID last 10 years and is still going strong... we finally spent some money and plumbed in a new belt drive compressor last year which is way better obviously, but I'm grudgingly impressed at the little old thing, for how cheap it was.

slim_boy_fat and earthman like this.
  8. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I had a SIP V twin for many years and sold it on gumtree when I bought one of the Wolf compressors from UKTV website. They are not far from here so I picked it up on offer.

slim_boy_fat and earthman like this.
  9. earthman Member

I have, they do have an ex demo/used Raider 15/500 funny enough but you can't use a VAT free card against any clearance item.

I worked out the difference in cost, £16 is all that I would save, might as well get a brand new one I'm thinking.

10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    They are hit and miss with their prices. Sometimes something tatty can be almost full price then something mint can be had at a huge saving.
    Definitely get new at that price!

earthman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. brightspark

brightspark Member

a mate of mine borrowed one for sandblasting . after half an hour or so it gave up he took it back to machine mart and they replaced it under waranty needless to say he didnt continue blasting with it . they are not designed to run long periods full whack

12. earthman Member

Oh yeah, I'm sure that you are right, these machines are aimed at the occasional user/home garage mechanic I'm sure.

13. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

I went for a 100litre 3hp one on a vat free day, was worth the wait to get the right one for spraying the occasional car and using a small grit blaster.

14. earthman Member

I'd love to, apart from the money I just don't have the space for that size of machine.:mad:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. earthman Member

Interesting video on these compressor ratings.

Coffinswell likes this.
Advertisements