Clamping whilst tacking/welding

1. Highway_Star

Highway_Star Member

Fife, Scotland
    OKay, so I've had a few trial goes on scrap plate and I'm really pleased with the results, the guides on here are excellent!

So I've chopped acres of rot out of one wheelarch of my Range Rover, and am in the process of forming up a couple of plates to weld in.

One of them I will be able to clamp whilst I weld it, the other I don't thin kI will be able to.

So I thought, how about a few pop rivets to hold it? Good idea or bad idea?
    I know it's a bit fiddly and time consuming, but time I have plenty of, and would rather take a bit longer to get a good result. This plate won't have anything of importance attached to it, just the seat belt mount! :eek:

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Mark where the plate need to be, then just hold it with a gloved hand, tack one corner, then just push the other corners down with your hammer handle (not a rubber grip one ;) )

If you dont push hard enough and its sat up, while the tack is still hot give it a tap.

3. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Self tapping screws would be better? Much easier to remove than rivets.
    No idea of the right or wrong but sounds like a better idea to me?
    Regards
    Rob

4. natterjacks Member

For some of my repair patches I've welded a nail to the patch so I can hold it while I'm tacking it in place. The nail is then easily ground off after.

5. Rev Dick Deluxe Member

If its only a little patch, i sometimes run off a length of wire then tack it to the work to hold it in place.

6. lexi Member

paisley
    Cleko fasteners are good for this if its something you are gonna repeat. Range Rovers and welders......It`s a bit like coffee and cream isn`t it!
    Alex

7. Highway_Star

Highway_Star Member

Fife, Scotland
    Oh yes!

The wheelarch repair panel will be here tomorrow, I gave up trying to think how to fabricate a repair section. Anyone who's ever seen a range Rover rear outer wheel arch will understand!

8. Highway_Star

Highway_Star Member

Fife, Scotland
    Having chopped off the rotten outer arch, I could get my clamps in to hold the patch section on the inner arch. I bought a pack of three clamps in Helfrauds, by SiP, quite useful they have proven to be thus far.

You just have to start thinking in 3D!

Putting the outer arch section on will be a piece of p1ss compared with patching the inner. It's all on the 'outside' of the body frame, all new metal welding to clean solid old metal, and all easily accessible to clamp and tack.

Advertisements