Chinese tooling and surface finish.

1. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Chinese tool, Chinese Insert, Chinese tool post, Chinese live centre, British lathe.

There is some crap out there (like the recent batch of dcmt Inserts i received) but a lot of it is such great value and can work excellent.

Hard to complain when you can achieve finishes like this. Can't wait to get my 3hp motor in and feed even harder.

IMG_20200426_150842.jpg

2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    What depth of cut is that? Ive Ive mostly been pleased with the cutter i buy like you say value and cut quality its hard to complain

3. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

.032 (0.8mm) DOC @ 750rpm, about all the puny 1.5hp motor can deal with at the feed rates I was using.

4. Kram

Kram Member

Trick of the light? Your centre looks very off centre.
    Positive inserts might get you a much bigger doc, I can do about 2-3mm in HT steel with a ccmt06 and 1.5kw.

I wanted to ask what you use for milling in the face mill they all seem really blunt. I did some tests regrinding them, and with the sharp aluminium ones and was much better. Is it just that you take a bigger DOC and I cant? But big HSS endmills are always sharp..

5. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    i use negative rake top of my head name escapes, typically manage 2mm on 1hp although i fell i probably have a bigger motor as it doesnt struggle but ive never checked it

6. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

@Kram

it's because of the way wiper cover it's throwing the eye, it does look off centre.

3mm DOC? @ what feed rate? That's a 0.8mm DOC but 1.6mm off the diameter, can usually do about a 2mm DOC depending on material/size etc

I'm feeding as fast as it will allow me there to get the chips breaking. I have holders for ccmt09t and dcmt11t but really at the rates I was feeding it wouldn't be any different.

If I did a nice slow feed I could hog off more but you don't get the nice finish.

I just use the standard cheap inserts from eBay in the face cutter, I tend to take 3-5mm DOC with it on the Elliott, I'm looking forward to seeing how it copes with the big 6 inch facemill I got on here.

I don't remember showing that on here? Where was that?

7. Kram

Kram Member

Sorry 3mm diameter 1.5doc on mine. I feed by hand but Ive found as fast as I can will break the chips. 300-700 rpm and rigidity is limiting motor could go much further.

Your thread tooling failure :D Convinced me to get the facemill. Id be interested to see the difference on a big machine. Can send you a couple of inserts to compare if you want?

8. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

The 3hp motor will make a big difference but Id like a vfd before I install it so I don't lose the lower rpm ranges.

Ah, yeah they endmills aren't as good as the facemill but they are still useful.

The sharpened ones? I'd be happy to give them a go. If it's the aluminium ones shoot me a link and I'll maybe buy some. Aluminium inserts do work good on steel.

9. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

What's peoples thoughts on negative and positive rake lathe tools? There seems to be pros and cons for each type.

10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Depends on the power of your lathe and the material you are working with.

pressbrake1 and Hopefuldave like this.
  11. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

I tend to stick to positive and neutral rake because of my machine size, but the cnmg negative rake is good for ploughing material off

But as Brad says it's all machine and material dependant.

Welderpaul likes this.
  12. Kram

Kram Member

13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

CNMG and DNMG can take 1.0mm cut so 2mm off diameter on my 1.5hp lathe.

Welderpaul likes this.
  14. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Positive rake do not like intermittent cuts tends to break them, I typically use cnmg and HSS as the latter will make clean shallow cuts something carbide wont do well

Welderpaul and Brad93 like this.
  15. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Rule of thumb is not to take a cut shallower than the insert nose radius.

I tend to finish with Emery. :D

Hopefuldave and mtt.tr like this.
  16. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

If it works, it works

Hopefuldave likes this.
  17. brightspark

brightspark Member

I hope u cover the bed up whilst doing so wouldn't fancy buying a lathe of u if u didn't :)

18. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

I pop a rag down then clean the ways after, I'm pretty sure I like my lathe more than my wife. :laughing:

Shox Dr, dobbslc and Hopefuldave like this.
  19. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Its a 3HP lathe, DNMG inserts, material..mild steel/EN8/stainless typical.

20. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Positive tooling achieves a better finish and
    mild steel and EN8 a positive insert is going to give a better finish.

Advertisements