chassis roller, attaching to car?

1. DavidS16 Member

Got a bit of a chassis refurb Im looking to get into soon, my Citroen AX 16v. I bought a chassis roller to do it sometime back but life got in the way (as it does). Ready to go ahead now though.

Its one of the CJ autos NBN chassis rollers I got, along with some of the off the shelf bars that you can adapt to suit your own application. The question is: whats the best way to actually go about attaching to a chassis? Id seen some of these used but all on classics that had specific bars available off the shelf.

Has anyone used one of these - or similar -
    and could offer some advice on how best to go about attaching to the shell?

Bit ambiguous I know, but its always better to learn from others experience.

Thanks

2. Dcal Member

Nice looking bit of kit.

I've a home made spit and I bolted the bracket to the front and rear bumper mounting points. (Lancia Delta)
    As it's home made making custom mounts was not an issue.

The NBN one looks like it has adjustable arms, but you will probably need to make something up to pick up the bumper mounts
    Try and rig it so that the car rotates around the center of gravity of the car (the bumper points will probably be too low)
    The danger is that the shell is top or bottom heavy and when it goes over center it can be hard to control.

The AX will be a very light shell so might not be a big issues but it always best if the shell will stop wher you want it without needing an extra pair of hands.

DavidS16 likes this.
  3. DavidS16 Member

Nice one, thanks.

The AX only has two bumper mounts of significance; one on each side and its an M8 bolt! With that in mind I wonder if I might need to weld some plates with threaded holes onto the car that I can then use to bolt the chassis roller bar to.

As you say its a very light shell, even with a roll cage in it its entirely possibly for one man to easily manoeuvre an end at a time, but Im just paranoid about the thought of the shell falling off!

4. Dcal Member

Most cars of the era will have have some thing like 8mm bolts for the bumper brackets.
    A single 8mm bolt will take way over a ton so the fixings (I'm assuming 4 front and 4 back?) will not be the weak link.

If the mounting points are ok you will not have a problem
    If the cage is still in place I don't think you have anything to worry about

Think of the car as a simply beam supported at the two ends on the roller, will it bend or twist under it's own weight?
    If it's completely rotten between the mounting points and the main structure you will have a problem otherwise should be fine

stuvy and DavidS16 like this.
  5. Wallace

Wallace Member

If using the bumper mounts worries you, weld a temporary support to the chassis front and rear and support off that. I had an Autovip 1700 with a Jensen CV8 on and no front suspension to attach to so I welded a 50x50mm box section across the cross member that mounted on the hub bracket pins.

DavidS16 and Burdekin like this.
  6. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

What about the tow bar mounts on the arse end....
    as well as the bumper mounts u can always use an extra steady bar to the engine or anti roll bar, top rear shock mounts.....bit of a dog leg but it's just spreading the load.....
    I'm stuck with just a 2poster ramp.....makes work around door pillars a bit of a squeeze....

7. CompoSimmonite Member

Have you thought about asking CJ where they recommend attaching their frame to an AX ?

8. gaz_moose Member

are the ends of the chassis rails open? put you brackets inside those.

if its got a roll cage and windows still in it will be top heavy.

the wing mirrors will be the widest point.

Wallace likes this.
  9. DavidS16 Member

No cage in it now im afraid though I may brace the inside as it needs some welding to a sill/jacking point. And fhe chassis rails are closed over by a full width slam panel

Its funny how common sense isnt that common nowadays! :) Ill give them a try

10. DavidS16 Member

Good call on the tow bar chassis points, thanks

11. Wallace

Wallace Member

Cage or it’s mounts were going to be another suggestion as solid points to rotate from.

Advertisements