Changed from CO2 to hobyweld 5

1. decca

decca Forum Supporter

Just changed gas over to hobyweld 5 rent free bottle and the transformation in my welding is amazing. If I had realised the difference from co2 I would have done it years ago. The time I would have saved grinding down bulbous welds would have paid for the bottle.
    If your thinking of changing from co2 without a doubt do it.

This is co2 on 0.8mm plate
    1594206661980-185063629.jpg
    And this is hobyweld
    1594206740202-1853394343.jpg
    Much nicer to use, no splatter and a nice sizzle.

a111r, metalmelt, Munkul and 7 others like this.
  2. ytre

ytre Member

Northern Ireland
    Think I'll make the change too. Is that argon mix decca

3. decca

decca Forum Supporter

Yes it’s a mix,
    93% Argon, 5% Carbon Dioxide, 2% Oxygen

been using it quit a bit on my Morris Minor repairs
    and I am very impressed with it compared to plain co2.

904D10C7-F023-4537-986B-69AD7078E309.jpeg
    I’m not the best welder in the world but the gas does make a big difference.

a111r, metalmelt and doubleboost like this.
  4. ytre

ytre Member

Northern Ireland
    Your doing fine. That's made my mind up

5. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

I was a cheapskate and used pub gas. Finally changed to 95/5 argon/CO2 and my welding was transformed. I'm now embarrassed by my old welds.
    Another change that improved my poor welding skills was changing to 0.8mm wire. The feed is so much smoother on my ancient Sealey.

metalmelt, gaz1 and a111r like this.
  6. fizzy Member

uk
    For thin stuff an Argon mix is better but for the thick stuff I weld I prefer neat CO2. Mind you I never really weld anything thinner than 3mm - usually 6mm or more.

metalmelt, dyno-tron and 123hotchef like this.
  7. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

We used to sell hobby weld and my only advise is make sure you turn the supply off at the bottle as soon as you finish welding, we had a large amount of bottles emptying for no reason. It is why we stopped stocking and selling them.
    Not attempting to disrespect hobby weld or the agents they use. Just a bit of advise.

8. Turbo Member

I'm another convert to argon mix, so much nicer to use & a prettier weld.

I still keep a bottle of CO2 for when I run out of mix, I own the bottle & just pay for refills so it costs me nothing having it there.

Keep meaning to do a back to back test on heavier stuff to compare the penetration of the CO2 vs argon mix. Is it noticeably better?

9. decca

decca Forum Supporter

Have to say even on thicker stuff I get better penetration and a much nicer looking weld than with co2. The arc seems to "bite"in much more.

10. Robert.

Robert. Member

Airproducts Ferromaxx is the argon mix I use , it comes in the smaller bottles for hobby use too . We were welding 30mm plate with it yesterday .

11. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

In this enlightened day and age, I don't see why anyone on solid wire MIG would be using pure CO2 any more, it's barely saving any money and generally makes your welds either too hot or too ropey.

Good result for the OP :)

I use Sureshield from Dixons, usually 5%, currently got a bottle of 15% for heavier work and it still surprises me how much more voltage the "heavier" gas takes to make a nice weld.
    15% has a more controllable puddle, bites in harder, but also produces slightly more spatter.

Advertisements