Chair for the garden

1. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Held up today waiting for a material delivery that is now going to be a day late I thought I would make something for me for a change,
    I have a pile of ally box section off cuts that I just can't bring myself to throw out, so turned some of them into this, a nuclear bomb proof garden chair, I will make another to match it at some stage, and perhaps a small table too, I will either paint it or get it powder coated before it gets used outside, and have ordered some feet for it, its surprisingly comfortable even without a seat cushion.
    20160120_140716 (Large).jpg

cocker, bigegg, magnet and 15 others like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Member

Top job Paul. Simple but effective :welder:

3. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

i like that. simple but elegant too

4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Lovely job Paul, good strong well made design, About a £1000-00 in Harrods,

5. Paul.

Your probably right too, and I've often thought about making good quality garden furniture in stainless steel as a product to sell rather than scratting about in food and chemical factories, Finding the market is the tricky part, and probably needs a proper marketing and sales setup.

daleyd and gordon stephenson like this.
  6. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Much better than those pressed ones that are pop riveted together that seem to grace every beer garden/cafe in the land.

Brad93 and ross1993 like this.
  7. Richard.

Richard. Member

Will look really nice powder coated.
    I've got stacks of ally box section off cuts too. Never thought of utilising that way.

8. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Looks nice, what about a holder that fits onto one of the arms to hold your beer? :D

skotl likes this.
  9. Paul.

Its already planned, it'll be a hook on stainless tray big enough for a small plate and a mug.

Parm and Robotstar5 like this.
  10. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

You need some " Landed Gentry " customers Paul. They like to buy stuff that lasts centuries not weeks.

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Finally something I can criticise after all the amazing stuff you've been posting.

That corner joint is UGLY! Where the base meets the back, meets the leg looks terrible. Maybe needs the rear legs to be at a steeper angle so there isn't so much metal in one spot iyswim.

Sort it out!

12. Kent

Kent Member

A tough nut to crack. You need to go mass production paying the lowest labour costs etc or just start doing bespoke stuff.
    A suggestion if you want clean work at good money
    Go see the independent kitchen retailers within a good radius of you especially the semantic and other more costly European brand sellers
    A lot of it can be bought cheap unless it's bespoke for the job and designers love to sell that stuff
    Very tough nut to crack outdoor furniture I doubt you could get to Were the resellers need on std

It's s fair chair probably best at your home

13. Richard.

Richard. Member

Forgive me if I'm wrong but looking at Pauls first post is a bit of a clue as to why he hasn't made it into a thing of beauty like his usual work standards. It was made from aluminium box off cuts and put together quickly to buy some time while waiting for delivery. Take that into consideration and it's a dam good knock up. He's not likely to plough lots of time, money and effort into a none paying job for himself when I can only imagine he's very busy 90% of the time. I think it looks great because I'm not comparing it to his paying jobs, I can see that was probably made in a matter of a couple hours from a pile of scrap. Imagine what a stainless steel bespoke chair for a paying customer would look like with brand new ordered materials and time to perfect it.

cocker, Paul. and daleyd like this.
  14. rosinante

rosinante Member

Hi excellent build and use of dead time, one major omission though, NO BOTTLE OPENER, needs to be fitted to the handle to minimise effort and unescessary movement whilst pondering the meaning of life or whether or not to have another beer,
    Chris

15. Bear

Bear Member

Is that not the same thing? :drunk:

rosinante likes this.
  16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Trust me, if I ever get to the stage where I can even consider building something like that, I will not be inviting criticism! But this is Paul we are talking about and there is a detail which is not perfect. The lack of a bottle opener compounds the design flaw so it's back to the drawing board.

:D

17. Kent

Kent Member

Was that aimed at my direction? Was I a critique of the job? No
    I spent a bit of time trying to get something like this off the ground early days of setting up. It's unbelievable what you can buy off the peg at what price
    Ok most of it is not so well made but the buyers can't tell
    However there is real demand in the bespoke designer and especially top end kitchen market for similar. People will pay large amounts to have things others don't as in thousands for a tap that just does what taps do
    Fancy bar stools as one offs can seal a deal and there are those about who have the money in fact some like it to be real dear just so they can tell others

18. Richard.

Richard. Member

No it wasn't aimed at a specific direction and certainly not with the intention of bashing people. I was only making a point that a couple hours non paying work with a handful of scrap box shouldn't be judged In anywhere near the same light as the other stuff that man turns out. Im Not having a pop mate at no body. :cool:

19. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

Very nice Paul, despite the bickering ;)

20. Kent

Kent Member

ok was just confused as to who was criticising I certainly wasn't and nobody before. just a mix up but it followed my post and I thought I might have worded something badly

Advertisements