cebora sort of works..help needed.

1. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Hi
    I have a cebora mig 180 also marked 852, wire feed ok, new liner fitted,wire at the moment .8 gas, but testing it without as run out.
    The fault(s) works with strong cosistant spark on setting 6,so that ones ok, on settings 1,3 and 4 the spark is feeble and intermitant, does not spark at all on no.2 and 5, although wire feed is working on these.
    I tried it twice on all these settings with same result, does not trip, contactor is slamming in properly and fan running fine, by trade years ago, I was an armature winder, so looking at windings ,and smelling!, that looks good, and the fact full power setting works tends to point probably good.
    all and any advice appreciated. thanks arther

2. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Thanks for the prompt reply, I did see one for sale on the net with the switch in a tub in dozens of pieces, so I geuss could be a common fault.
    I am geussing mark everything up, disconnect then go through it with a meter ? long time since I played with lecky !
    Does anyone know who are agents or parts stockists? also would like wiring diagram if possible. Thanks Arther

3. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Thanks again
    So am I right thats how to check switch , found wilkinsons on google, several sites for cebora, could you tell me which one I should contact(correct email address),cheers Arther

4. NotANormalCoder Retired fixer of welders

Wiring diagrams (not PCB info) for obsolete Cebora machines can be found here - http://www.cebora.it/articoli_fuori_produzione_uk.html You will need the 'ART' number to accurately locate your machine - 852 in this case.

These machines only worked well on 0.6mm wire on settings 1,2 & 3. The rest were for 0.8mm wire. Your problem sounds like a failed voltage control switch. These are difficult to find replacements for as they were not a straighforward selector type switch, instead, switching different ends of the transformer depending on the voltage selected. Also, a common problem was loose connections between the rectifier plates - tightening the central bolt would often clear faults.

Unless you are feeling very lucky, I would advise against stripping the selector switch - too many small parts to lose and a high probability of getting reassembly wrong and burning out the transformer!

Finally, there is a smoothing capacitor that is used only in positions 1,2 & 3. These do fail with age but as I said above, only relevant for the lower 3 ranges and 0.6mm wire.

Hope this helps somebody.
    Dave

arther dailey and eSCHEn like this.
  5. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Thankyou
    Appreciate all the help I am getting with this, I hate wasting or scrapping good machines for the sake of a few hours repair work, thats if parts can br sourced cost effectively !
    Has anyone got a cebora laying around for parts ??????
    Well inbetween I have checked all earth connections, rectifier fittings all tight, but will remove and check /replace diodes at some stage, spotted those capacitors...now if everything else is working what are the symtoms of duff capacitors ? I remember testing them back in the day, attatch a megger tester crank it up ,then short capacitor, if you didnt get a fat crack of a spark it was duff.
    So the search is on for the switch..........

6. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Dont understand colon sourced, ?, anyways yes , thanks, not worried about being original, dont think it will be a collectors item and even if it does I wont be around then!
    Will check it out hopefully today if I get the chance, later on will sus out dual switch drawing and options, will check if new switch available/cost effective first. Great so far thank you guys. arther
    ps looking at wiring diagram either switch is open in one circuit s4 ,or tapping open circuit as those relate to positions 2 and 5 that dont work(dead). will let you know.
    according to brochure also attatched in that file amps 20 to 160, rather than 180.

7. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Ha
    ok, lmao, its monday have nt woke up yet thats my excuse right through till friday..anyways new switch sorry obsolete.. so will try and check switch out later. will put result on here.

8. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

Check the transformer tails haven't fallen out of the connectors on the switch, give them all a wiggle and gentle pull (power off and set unplugged of course)

pdg likes this.
  9. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Thanks, yes already checked that, not uncommon for one to vibrate loose , looks like I will mark up leads and check it out. ps you are local so now I know where to get wire etc..

10. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

OK
    grabbed ten minutes in between jobs, loosened 6 position switch of so I could get meter at it, and good news is voltage between transformer/taps 1 to 5 and then in steps all down to 1 to2 working.
    So its all pointing to that switch.
    Agree with wiring in switch for fine and course, and then rotary for 3,4,5. my only thoughts are also need to connect C and 6 on fine only, can you get a switch suitable to work that on only the fine setting or would I need seperate one for that? not up with latest switches so advice on where best to get them(cheap) to suit correct amperage.
    thought on that C/6 if no suitable switch is available could always stick a relay to operate it.
    Slowly slowly catchy monkey.... and thanks to all. arther.

11. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Ps, excuse my ignorance, I am on several sites but have nt seen the "bits" like report at the bottom, plus quote /reply, also fred likes this , the last one is self explanatory, could someone educate this poor computer illiterate whats the crack with the others, that is when they get of the floor from laughing,ha.

12. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

another bit
    worked out switch was not working between S and tapping 4, this affects position 2 and 5 on the switch, so with heavy wire shorted between S and 4, turned switch to positon 2, power on, it works,kinda feeble, power off turn to no 5, power on it works, reasonable power.off
    So obviously I either need to replace complete switch or work out seperate switch system for 2 and 5 (switch contacts 2 and4)which wont close/short trannie out changing through the range, great,well pleased.
    the weakness on 1 to 3 maybe the capacitors but will sort switch/wiring first.
    Thanks for the help so far, reckon this will be another oldie saved to weld another day.arther.

13. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Thats a 100% reply, thanks.

14. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Saying that.... with a fixed link in when you turn switch to other position normally that would go open circuit and new tapping would come into play, as it is turn to new position and two tappings would be live, so no cant leave it in.but a seperate switch if thats what you meant would work. thanks Arther.

15. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Busy with work next few days, but will let you know how it goes.
    And a thankyou for all the help and advice so far. ps where would I get capacitor rating thats in this?

16. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Got another bit done, wire feed was eratic, took wire tension of spindle turned fine, then noticed .8 wire in roller set for .6. so tried to get roller off siezed solid, much wd and carefull coaxing slightly of tap back on and so forth off it came, I could see why it hadnt been moved before, cleaned up a treat, back on correct way around and wire feed is smooth. great
    jobs to do sort the switch, check/replace diodes and capacitors.

Is there a best place to buy caps ? I did ask before but is ebay the only place.

17. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

18. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Thankyou its appreciated, will sus it out.

Advertisements