Cebora pocket turbo 130

1. Nick Eaton New Member

Hello,
    I like messing about with old cars and decided to invest in a welder.
    When I was younger - I did a bit of Arc welding and had been told that Mig welding was a bit easier
    So after a bit of research and chatting with a few mates - I purchased a Cebora 130.
    Mainly because i told it was a good hobbyist set.
    Well I got it and soon realised that it is not as easy as I thought.
    I sort of lost heart because I didn't know what was required and mainly what I was doing wrong.
    Well I invested in a welding course for beginners and so far it has been money well spent!
    So I decided to get my Cebora out from under the covers today and that's where my question is heading!
    The sets at the school are a bit more advanced than my set and my question is - does anyone know
    What the switches are for??
    I have one dial which controls the wire feed - but I have no dial to control the amps.
    There is two switches
    One give a choice of 1 or 2
    And the other one says max or min.
    I have no user guide with my welder
    Any advice would be well received

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, I've moved this to the correct section.

The switches are used in combination to control the power, I'm not sure of the exact settings, but would be something like Min & 1, Min & 2, Max & 1, Max & 2 lowest to highest.

If that's wrong someone will say so!

Nick Eaton likes this.
  3. johnik

johnik Member

I paid £20 for one of those around 30 years ago and it,s still going strong :whistle:.
    i would suggest doing a dinze conversion for the earth lead,propper earth lead not the bell wire it comes with and replacing the wire from the transformer to said dinze,make a lot of difference performance wise.:welder:

4. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Great machines, I've refurb'd 2 and shifted them on - always looking for more to refurb.

I would suggest fitting a steel liner to the torch (easy to do using net curtain spring stuff) and upgrading the earth clamp to something more substantial.

The switches, as mentioned above are the power level adjustment.

Nick Eaton likes this.
  5. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Easy to check what order the switches work in with a multimeter.
    Switch it to DC volts (50 is plenty) clamp the negative probe with the "earth" clamp, put the positive probe on the contact tip, press the trigger and make a note of the voltage on each setting, you will see an increase each time with the lowest being somewhere around 18v and the highest around 30.
    Turn the gas off and undo the wire feed rollers so you don't waste any gas or wire.

Nick Eaton and HughF like this.
  6. HughF

HughF Member

Very sound advice there woz

Wozzaaah likes this.
  7. penfold

penfold Ambassador plenipotentiary

8. Nick Eaton New Member

Thanks for the info - I take it that a dinze wire is a heavier earth cable??

9. Nick Eaton New Member

Thanks for the info - could I not just get a better quality torch??

10. Nick Eaton New Member

Thanks for the info

11. HughF

HughF Member

I wouldn't. The replacement hobby torches that are available aren't great to be honest and the original red handled cebora torch is actually very nice to use once it has had a new liner fitted along with a new tip and shroud.

12. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Dinse refers to a connector you can fit to the welder so you can disconnect the earth lead. Google "Dinse Connector".

13. johnik

johnik Member

Nick,i used lorry jump lead cable for earth ,made easier if you use dinze cos you can take the lead off the machine,it was loads better after that simple mod :welder:

Advertisements