Review Cebora Pocket Pulse

1. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Thanks Tom.

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  2. smashweld Member

any idea what the weld/travel speed would be with this compared to tig? on 3mm alu

tacking up must be a lot faster?

3. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I would say 3x faster with mig

smashweld likes this.
  4. Richard.

Richard. Member

You must keep those ones for personal viewing only:D

5. Richard.

Richard. Member

Tacking with mig is 10x faster.
    Typical mig running speed is 40-60 cm min.
    Tig is 10-20 roughly so 3-4 times quicker.

smashweld likes this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

You've just not been paying attention :D

7. Richard.

Richard. Member

They are all very good but those recent ones with the Cebora seem to look incredibly neat for mig. I can’t alu mig weld like that. Never been that neat. It’s obviously a quality machine in skilled mittens.

8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I find it quite hard to capture true to life pics with my phone. The camera is OK but not brilliant as it is really more orientated as being an indestructible phone than a high quality camera phone.
    I was quite happy with these ones.
    ScreenHunter_1568 May. 15 18.48.jpg

smashweld, Tom Orrow L and HughF like this.
  9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I got the 1mm Alu roller from Tom yesterday but afraid I have not had a chance to try it out, hopefully I will get some time at the weekend and hopefully I can push the wire through the 4m torch without issues.
    I have also solved the small 0.5Kg reel tensioning issue by copying the very simple idea that is used on the push/pull gun I have, simply cut a 10mm long section of 10mm ID hose and placed it over the threaded section of the spool holder. Now when I screw up the tensioning nut it squashes the hose and thus expanding it into the reels inner and causing drag :thumbup:

10. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Well tomorrow will be the big test, the EWM is giving me a real headache, something is still not right with it and overhead welding has only served to give me burnt arms :( Maybe I have just lost my touch or maybe the push-pull is the problem but I will be trying out the Cebora tomorrow to see as I really need to crack on with finishing the shelter so I hope it feeds ok with the 4m torch and that the duty cycle does not limit things.

eLuSiVeMiTe, Richard. and Tom Orrow L like this.
  11. Richard.

Richard. Member

I assume as you’ve had it a little while you’ve bought the Cebora now.
    Top man. It seems a very capable set. From your review

12. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No, not bought it yet as I have not really had a chance to try it out properly as I have been too busy.
    A proper test to see if it would work for me was the understanding I had with Tom or at least I hope it was :D
    It does seem nice for the limited tests I have done with it but really it is too small for me as a main welder and I was thinking it would do me as a standby second welder, tomorrow will be the big test for it.
    I nipped up to Dundee this afternoon to get some wire and a teflon liner for the 4m torch and also some hose to make up a longer gas line.

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  13. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Test it as long as you want ;)

14. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Well some good and some not quite so good news.
    Took the Cebora to the boat and fired it up with the 4m torch and a reel of 1mm 5356 and although it seemed slightly better than the EWM on the overhead welds it still wasn't good :(
    So I had to think back, I had welded up the hopper with the EWM without an issue, maybe not as sweetly tuned in as I had it before the new PCB but still very nice, I had run out of Argon part way through the hopper and hooked up the spare cylinder to finish it but had taken the empty up to get a new one and left that in the car and that is what I have been using on the shelter the last few days. Welding on the flat was ok but there had been slight issues, the verticals weren't as good as I had previously been used to and the overheads were dire. So decided to go to the workshop and get the other, half empty, cylinder and what a difference, the wee Cebora was putting in a much nicer weld :)
    I did quite a bit of welding with the Cebora but there were feeding issues with the 4M torch and I had to crank up the tension a bit to get it to work smoothly, that however gave me several birds nests and melted tips, so the 4m torch it seems is just too long for the Cebora :(
    After about the 4th birds nest I decided to go and get the EWM just to double check that it was the gas that was the issue and sure enough the EWM was back to normal so that is a great relief.
    So as I said a bit of mixed news as the Cebora seems to be a max 3m torch length which is not the best for the things I do, the good thing however is it put in a some very nice welds on the 1/4" angle and 6mm sheet and it was only set around about the 5mm so I can see it easily doing 8mm.

eSCHEn and Jlg like this.
  15. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Interesting!!
    some etches of over head welds with EWM and Cebora on 6mm 5083 with 5356.
    Thoughts please :)

ScreenHunter_1602 May. 27 12.59.jpg ScreenHunter_1604 May. 27 12.59.jpg ScreenHunter_1603 May. 27 12.59.jpg ScreenHunter_1605 May. 27 13.00.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1609 May. 27 13.00.jpg ScreenHunter_1608 May. 27 13.00.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  16. Richard.

Richard. Member

There is only one lacking pen in the corner from what I can see. Probably a direction thing more than anything else.
    What is crystal clear and more concerning is the amount of worm holes in the bottom section. Far more than I’d hope to see. (You’ll always get some)
    Dunno what’s causing that but it’s an investigation job.
    Face sides look great mind. Nice welding there hood especially considering the position you did them.
    That’s my thoughts

17. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Dead right on torch angle I would say and also echoing my thoughts regarding porosity.
    Only thing I can think of is the shroud has a melted section on the end, see post earlier in the thread, or possibly too high a LPM for the wee torch.
    Having said that, it is one thing I have always noted about the EWM, the lack of any porosity, why I don't know.

18. Richard.

Richard. Member

I don’t think the porosity will be machine related unless there is a tiny gas leak inside the machine itself. More likely contamination from an external part of the set up ie torch, gas line, connections, wire perhaps although a swap between machines would confirm this quickly.
    Like you say the Venturi effect is very possible if your trying to push 18 lpm through a mb25 shroud. Lots of possibilities I’d imagine but the machine itself I’d be surprised if that was the cause. Not impossible I suppose but it would be my last port of call when ruling out.

19. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I think it may be the combination of shroud edge being damaged and too much gas. I had the EWM at 17LPM with the 36 push-pull and the Cebora was at 15LPM with the 25 torch. Never used a small torch before so not really sure the ideal flow so may try a bit less the next time.
    Well impressed with the Cebora though, just wish I could get away with a longer torch or a push-pull with it, 3m is on the short side due to the type of work I do.

20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Oh and regarding wire, not sure what brand it is in the Cebora, it is just a reel I picked up the last day from my local place and it was the only one they had left. It is SWP but not sure if they actually make their own or not.

Advertisements