Cataloging material stock...

1. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Does anyone use a system to catalog what materials they have in stock; whether for professional or hobby use?

I don't live where I store my materials, and I'm starting to build up quite the collection of odds and ends. Rather than end up ordering things I don't need or spending time travelling to and then sifting through what I have to see if I have what I need; I'm considering setting up a simple spreadsheet to record what I have in stock. Then if I get an idea for a project I can quickly find out if I have enough materials in stock or what I need to order, whilst at home.

Before I delve into Open Office, just wondered if anyone as done something similar, have any suggestions or if there are any salient points that'll be worth knowing before I begin...

As always, thank you.

Wonderweaver likes this.
  2. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Start simple.
    I use a spread sheet in Excel.

I list all items I bring in. from steel stock to tools to be restored.

Then as I work on a project I list all items used and amend the spread sheet as required.

This way over time I have a good idea what I have(In theory). So I have consumables in use and a one ready to be used.
    So as one ones out I have another ready and I make a list what I need to replace.

Wonderweaver and Yamhon like this.
  3. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Didn't think about consumables actually, that's a good thing to keep track of too.

That's more or less what I envisioned, I don't have MS Office for Excel anymore, but I'll try and do something similar in the Open Office equivalent, thanks.

4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Consumables are costly.

Even more so if you run out mid job.

Hopefuldave, Yamhon and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

Absolutely not

Most stuff is where I put it and easy to find. That’s the theory

I’d rather be using the “stuff” rather than spending any time managing by a spread sheet

6. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Mine is as, well in theory.

7. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

So would I, but I don't live where I store my supplies, even in the same town... it is much more time costly for me to travel over to find out what I have; or worse still to start a project only to find out I needed to order xyz.

Each to their own though; open to all ideas.

8. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

I wish I was that organised, I seem to have collected a large amount of metal stick over the last few years and storing it has been a challenge

I have moved most of it to my lockup and now have a system for storing it so I can more easily see what I have, it's an improvement but still not ideal

I do have a bunch of stuff on the garage floor and this will get moved in the near future

Planning on keeping shorter lengths of steel plus all my brass and ali in the garage, just haven't got a place for them yet

One thing I struggle with is again due to limited space my storage rack stores stuff vertically. This means long stuff either needs to get cut into shorter lengths which is not ideal or once again stored on the floor

Cataloging, not gonna happen, no time

Will take a photo next time I'm there

slim_boy_fat and Yamhon like this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Grab a Google account if you don't already have one and use a spreadsheet in Google docs to list. Can access from a webpage anywhere any device then.

Personally would wind me up knowing for definite i have something but not being able to find it lol.

10. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Yes of course
    Yeah it's good to know what you have and to know what you might need for jobs. Plus if stuff goes missing for whatever reason ,you know.

Yamhon likes this.
  11. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

I have a corner for long bits of metal, a wall for sheet, a shelf on the racking for nuts bolts etc. I'm th eonly one that's uses my workshop and I never lend anything out.

So if it aint where its supposed to be then I don't have

Plus when I'm making things, its never from a drawing design or plan, so its never critical to have an inventory upfront.

My projects develop and evolve around what I have

bourbon, mtt.tr, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  12. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I try to sketch things out; but designs don't really flow for me until I've got my hands on material and start working on things.

indy4x likes this.
  13. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

For some reason I've never got on with Google Docs, though it makes sense for a lot of applications; so perhaps I'll give it another go using that.

For anyone interested or considering doing the same; I've uploaded a short empty spreadsheet of what I've come up with so far. One tab is for consumables, the 2nd tab is for mild steel, I envision other tabs can be added for stainless steel, etc or whatever works best, although for the moment besides a bit of brass all of my metal stock is mild steel.

The file is .ods from Open Office, although it should open just fine in modern editions of Microsoft Office.

https://file.town/download/7dlm3mfvv0z8wpycp1hfpht8r

14. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

I thought you used that other search engine duck duck go ???

Did you not say that you were doing some sort of computer course that required an old version of something or other ???

15. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Save a note on google notes & update when replenished or used?

Take a picture also helps to remind you of what you have lying around

Yamhon likes this.
  16. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Search engines are an Internet service, you can use whichever and as many as you like. As a default I use DuckDuckGo automatically every time I open and search within a web browser. That doesn't stop you from using Google Docs or any other web based Internet service, you just navigate to the address where the Internet service is hosted.

I'm doing a fabrication course which includes computer based testing, the simulation software their website uses only works on an outdated version of Firefox; so I run multiple browsers, have Firefox setup to work with what my course requires and I use other web browsers for everything else.

Parm and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  17. MoreWellie Member

I made duckduckgo my default search engine and I wanted it to work, I really did. I kept at it for about 4 months but I realised I wasn't seeing the best prices when I searched for things or even very many prices at all so I kept nipping back to google to check until one day I realised that it just wasn't working as well for me and went back to google full time

Yamhon likes this.
  18. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Yeah, I've encountered that... although my minuscule effort doesn't count for much, I guess I mostly just wanted to support work which seeks to increase peoples privacy and data rights, which is why I've mostly stuck with DuckDuckGo, although simply using DuckDuckGo on its own won't do much to improve an individuals privacy.

19. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

Racking it so that I can can see what is there has improved things in my workshop. I spent a day fabbing this metal rack for round, hex and square stock. I make sure that alloy steels, Phosphor Bronze etc sections stay marked with what they are so I don't end up making an everyday item from EN24T or whatever.

[​IMG]

Wallace, winchman, JonE and 4 others like this.
  20. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

That looks very nice. I don't have facilities for any racking yet, currently just store materials under the welding table... luckily my table is nearly 9' long so it does hold/hide quite a bit.

indy4x likes this.
Advertisements