casting concrete to weld art

1. drgreen Member

i want to cast an object, i have a manaquine and my idea is based on using the concrete floor to weld up a frame for a trailer... means i can kinda use concrete as a guide....

so if i made my wooden frame,
    1 pour in my quick dry fine cement, and press in my manaquine,
    2 pour cement over manaquin in frame (packed with clay so it doesnt seal round the back)

this wil give me a negetive of my manaquine torso, like how i do with with alginate and plaster but with cement .

now i can pour in my washers/nuts or whatever i want and start tacking and bending to fit hoping result when removed be a torso art for my wall...

any input? sound feaseable?

like this ish but with a manaquin

[​IMG]

2. julianf

julianf Member

I would suggest the offset of one bolt thickness will be nothing on that kind of job, so just lay the parts on top of your pattern (mannequin) and tack them up there.

At one point in your post you use the word "trailer" which has me confused?

3. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Be careful putting heat near concrete, small chips of it will explode off with surprising force.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. KemppiFrog Member

I finally realised what you are doing. Member Chunkolini did some torsos with small rings. You might be able to search for the thread.

BTW, pressing a mannaquin ( full size?)into wet cement will be tricky. Best pour the stuff with mannaquin held in place, then vibrate it, or just push a rod in to make sure it flows around the back of the 'plug' (term for the male shape that a female mould is taken off)

BarrieJ likes this.
  5. drgreen Member

nice thanks. iil have a look

i found a guy doing it into plaster, would that not explode also? and shatter?
    yeah i mean i weld trailers on my concrete and other things so guessed it safe,

im always heavy guarded n goggled after getting metal splinter in my eye never again

6. KemppiFrog Member

Plaster might be better. as it is softer and less likely to splinter; Just let it dry for a decent time. A client uses cast plaster for lights and it takes several days to dry properly. At this time of year:) needs a warm place.

The thread I mentioned was some time ago.

7. bourbon Member

I would put your frame on a sheet of plastic first

Advertisements