Caravan chassis - Trailer Project

1. vr4awd

vr4awd The Scottish Scouser

Dundee
    As i have to pickup a bike iv bought at the weekend, iv been working on a trailer project to pick it up and other parts with it.

The trailer is made from an old caravan chassis and used box section and angle iron to fabricate it up.

below are a couple of pics of how it was at the weekend and not got much more to do so il take pics of the welds as iv been doing a lot of practise lately and my welds are getting better everytime i weld now.

Here are the pics and as promised il take more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    looks nice and strong. You also have a good work area

3. vr4awd

Dundee
  4. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

If you want to make it more rigid but some pieces in at angle to form triangles.

5. peterd51

peterd51 happy to be here!

Scunthorpe UK
    Hi,

I think I'd have shortened the 'A' frame a bit, or moved the axel forward about a foot.

You may find that it's a bit front heavy as there's not enough room behind the wheels to counter balance whatever you put in front of the wheels.

It depends what you'll be using it for, of course, but please bear in mind when loading it that the tow hitch is only supposed to have a maximum of about 75 kg downwards force.

Regards
    Peter

6. vr4awd

Dundee
    iv already looked into that, after this weekend is over from collecting a motorbike im going to think about moving the axle forward and the a frame part will need to be shortened, im also not looking into overloading it at all but a friend will be using it aswell to carry materials to jobs as he is a joiner

7. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    looks good mate, what size is it? gonna plan out a trailer build over the next few days (i say plan, i mean make plans of a trailer that has survived 20 years of abuse:whistle:) will still the drawings up once iv finished them

8. vr4awd

Dundee
    i will double check how big the chassis as its gone out of my head at the moment and cant remember the sizes

for my first trailer build though iv found it easy and plan on making more in the future as i get offered free caravans all the time from people i know

9. vr4awd

Dundee
    ok i measured the trailer bed tonight and it comes in at

Length 221cm
    width 137cm
    depth 53 cm

already looking into making more of these to sell put up for sale as braked trailers

and this trailer will also be braked and adding a custom breakaway chain

also some pics i took tonight showing the underside and also the axle unit i will be looking into moving forward to balance the trailer a lot better, also added a quick pic of how my welds are coming on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last pic showing how my welds are generally looking now which is a lot better than looking like bird s*** lol

Advertisements