Car windscreen has me beat.

1. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
  2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

3. Wallace

Wallace Member

I clean the blades regularly, surprising what builds up on them.

4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    If your car doesn't have vehicle specific blades then a good money saving option is to buy a new set and buy some lengths of silicon rubber refill from ebay and replace on the old ones and keep as a spare.

In my experience blades do get to a point where nothing seems to improve things. I do quite a few miles and when they get to the point where they aren't performing as well as they did i replace them and without fail it surprises how much difference a new set makes immediately to driving., There is nothing worse than a screen that doesn't clear properly.

The last few sets I've had came from Costco, they are Michelin and cheap as chips

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. R-D-R Forum Supporter

swap the blades and polish the glass when you do it. Had it not so long back on the Disco was driving me crazy and kept reoccurring even with new wipers then found out mrs RDR parks it under the extractor vents of the cafe where she works = fryer cr@p puthering directly over the screen 6 hours every week !

6. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    Surprised no-one has mentioned silicone - it's often used by dealers as a quick/cheap way to make a car look shiny. Unfortunately if it gets onto the glass it's a royal pain as it has a nasty ability to creep back over a surface that it's been cleaned off if there is still some left at the edges or under window seals. White vinegar is the thing but the blades are toast once contaminated with it as no practical amount of cleaning will get it all off so they're just re-applying it every time they are used.

7. daedalusminos Member

I occasionally take my car to one of those hand wash cleaners......the last time they put some crap stuff on the screen....yes fine in daylight, no need to use the wipers, the water just streams off. Different story at night, the wipers just smear, visibility reduced, had to stop and manually dry the screen.
    It was probably something silicone based, it's gradually wearing off but that's the last time I go there.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. jenki Member

Agree on the question of Silicone, I often wonder about wash and wax does that leave a film on the glass?

9. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Here we so little rain , the UV light softens the blades so they get stuck to the screen in the summer ,and the first time you use them in the winter , the blades get ripped off and the bladeless wiper clatters about hither and yon on the screen....

10. I use isopropyl on both windscreen and wiper blades it seams to restore the rubber

11. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Got a berlingo van that I have had from new.
    Original windscreen was not good, it smeared constantly. When that one was replaced by Autoglass that screen was fine. Next one started going opaque so was replaced, the current screen is fine, been in for about 18 months and 40k miles.
    All the screens have been treated equally, power wash, cheap glass cleaner then rain x.
    Wiper blades when they start to judder.
    Maybe your screen is the fault.

12. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

I had a devilish time with some car polish that some clot had applied to the screen, in a misguided attempt to 'clean' it when they were doing the rest of the car, presumably.
    So far as I recall, hot very detergenty water, followed by meths and lots of clean paper towels eventually shifted it.
    Oh yes, and new blades, as the old ones were contaminated, which was annoying as they were fairly pricey.
    From that point on, I became a convert to finding decent blade inserts and replacing just them every year, which was cheap as chips.

13. cumbriasteve

That should not really be possible, they should all be made the same :whistle:

I was getting to the stage where that thought crossed my mind.

I have messed with cars for 50 years and there is something about the smear pattern that is strange, as though it's in the surface rather than on it.

Will wait untill the new blades are fitted next week.

14. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

^^
    Agree but it’s also the first time I have had a new ish one go opaque

cumbriasteve likes this.
  15. earthman Member

If I can find a supplier of this product in the UK, I'd give this stuff a go.:D

cumbriasteve likes this.
  16. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

Something that may be not considered here, do you use one of those £5 car washes manned by Eastern European folk?

They use a wax to make the paint work look good, on the screen it’s a nightmare.

Asked me how I know

bigegg and fizzy like this.
  17. fizzy Member

uk
    There used to be a brilliant product that would get rid of the grease or oil film. Also great for removing insects. Originally called Mixtra - then the name changed to Screenies and sales plummeted. Made by Holts. The stuff goes on your screen like Christmas snow or shaving foam - then just use wipers to clear.

The new products are nowhere near as good so I bought a load on Ebay a few years ago.

[​IMG]

RonA likes this.
  18. cumbriasteve

£5 :o

Many moons ago some of my cars cost less than £5, the answer to your question will be a no.:laughing:

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. ukracer Member

50 sovs for replacing wipers.......insane.

20. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Yes, but you probably need a VAG-COM session to tell the car it has new wipers...

ajlelectronics and anto44 like this.
Advertisements